1957 Evinrude 35hp wiring questions

lonestaraggie

Recruit
Howdy all.
I'm brand new here and new to boating in general. I picked up a 57 evinrude 35 horse outboard but the big wiring cable is destroyed. I'm taking off what's left of it and plan to wire it directly from the junction box to the outboard with no plug in between.
I haven't been able to figure out the two other wires that used to be connected to the outboard. One goes to what I assume is an electric choke solenoid below the carb. Am I correct in assuming that a simple momentary switch on the dash sending positive current to it would trigger it?
The second wire goes to a mysterious device on the upper left side of the motor that is roughly square and has fuel lines in and out of it going from the pump to the carb, plus several wires that I assume go to the magneto (or is it a coil)??? First, what is that thing? Also, how do I wire it in to my dash? Is that what kills the engine when I turn off the key? Does it require positive or negative current to function?
Thanks very much for your assistance. I've learned a lot just searching for an answer to this.
AJ
Bryan, TX

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1957 Evinrude 35hp wiring questions

You asked: "I haven't been able to figure out the two other wires that used to be connected to the outboard. One goes to what I assume is an electric choke solenoid below the carb. Am I correct in assuming that a simple momentary switch on the dash sending positive current to it would trigger it?"

I reply: Yes, a momentary switch or push button applying voltage to that wire attached to the choke solenoid would engage the solenoid.

You asked: "The second wire goes to a mysterious device on the upper left side of the motor that is roughly square and has fuel lines in and out of it going from the pump to the carb, plus several wires that I assume go to the magneto (or is it a coil)?"

I reply: There should only be one hose attached to that device with the other end of the hose being attached to the powerhead crankcase. It would be a vacuum switch that shorts out one cylinder via a wire that attaches to one set of points in the magneto. If the engine attempts to "run away", when the throttle is closed, one cylinder would short out resulting in having the run away engine lower its rpms.

One attached black wire would lead to one set of points. Another attached black wire to the same terminal of that vacuum switch would lead to a terminal of a kill switch of some kind at the dash. Another black wire would lead from the other terminal of that kill switch back to the engine's other set of points. Engagihng the kill switch would then connect the two sets of points together, killing the ignition and shut down the engine.

If you're using an ignition switch thata has two (2) "M" marked terminals, those "M" terminals would be a kill switch.

"M" terminals connected (switch OFF) = No Ignition

"M" terminals not connected (switch ON) = Ignition engaged.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Ohgawd, another lonestaraggie. Class of '81 here, if you don't get an answer soon on this forum try the Ask A Member forum at www.aomci.org
I've seen a diagram that answers your question posted in both places, but don't have it on my computer. My 57 Bigtwin 35 hp is wired to a starter button and solenoid mounted under the cowl instead of through a wiring harness. That's another option. If your Bigtwin has a two-line pressure fuel system, the square thing with glass bowl is just a fuel filter. Don't know if it has been converted to a fuel pump, one-line fuel system. The round thing on the same side of the motor with wires running to it and back under the magneto is an over-ride cutout switch. Keeps the motor from running away if the throttle gets thrown over past the rev-limiter while it's in Neutral. Post some pix of your BigTwin so we can tell for sure what you have.

lonestaraggie

Recruit

Hey guys, thanks for the information. I'm glad there are other aggies here.
I'm going to try to put up a photo here of the outboard and the part I must confess I'm still confused about. I looked closer and noticed only one line going to the bottom of it, plus two wires going to the central terminal and one going to the screw on the corner. The grey wire to the central terminal is the one that used to go to the junction box via the big cable. Is it the two wires on the central terminal that have to be separated to kill the engine? Hopefully you can see the images below.
Thanks again for all the help.
AJ
DSCF0141.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

F_R

Supreme Mariner

That mystery thing is called a vacuum cut-out switch. It prevents the motor from running wild in neutral. Without it, it will go crazy and just keep revving up and scare the bejabbers out of you.

It is wired incorrectly in the picture. I'll send you that diagram you asked for as soon as you PM me your e-mail address.

Bahummbugg

Cadet

That mystery thing is called a vacuum cut-out switch. It prevents the motor from running wild in neutral. Without it, it will go crazy and just keep revving up and scare the bejabbers out of you.

It is wired incorrectly in the picture. I'll send you that diagram you asked for as soon as you PM me your e-mail address.

Can u email me a pic of the diagram as well I'm afraid my cutout switch is wired wrong too

F_R

Supreme Mariner
7 year old thread. Forum has been changed and my PM box no longer works. Go to www.aomci.org and ask your question. Somebody there will have the diagram.
And put this thread back to bed in the archives.