Impeller problems

ableberry

Cadet
Good afternoon,

I'm replacing my water pump impeller ('77 35 hp) and am having trouble matching impeller to housing. The number on the housing is 323941, which I cannot find anywhere in BRP. BRP has the impeller #319578, but the impeller is too large for the housing I have that came with the kit I changed last winter. (That impeller failed when I took the boat out.) I saw another post that adressed the same thing, and someone mentioned there were three impellers, one of which 18-5031, looks like the one that came with the kit. However, that original OEM number is to a differerent model altogether.

Could it be that the shop I got the kit from in the first place sold me a kit for the wrong model in the first place?

-Wes

Last edited:

emckelvy

Commander
Re: Impeller problems

What is your model # and have you verified via the BRP site that your motor is model year 1977?

BRP shows part no. 0322260 ($52.11) for pump housing, 0775521 ($19.95) for impeller and 0389980 ($55.99) for water pump kit. The Sierra Marine # for the impeller is 18-3006. Note the superseded # on the impeller is 0378891.

Maybe you should compare the parts you have with one or all of the above. The dlr is bound to have some of them in stock, I'd think.

BTW you can't always relate a part # stamped on an OMC part to a "real" part #, for some reason some stuff has a number that'll show up in the system and some don't. Not sure wazzup wid that, but I've had good luck with the parts locater at Crowley Marine's site, it always seems to pull up the current # for anything you put in that used to be a good #. Your #323941 doesn't come up there, either.

http://www.crowleymarine.com/omc_mercury_parts.cfm

Note on the impeller being too large for the housing, does that mean it was too thick to fit, or the blades won't 'screw' into the housing. Remember that the blades have to 'curl' into the housing and that's considerably less diameter than when the blades are free-standing, out straight.

HTH & maybe this'll help lead you to the right parts for your motor......ed

ableberry

Cadet

All those part #s jive with what BRP says for the model number and year of my engine. (both are from the ID plate on the motor.)

The impeller look like it would fit vertically, but is too wide for the housing. The impeller is 2.75 in across, while the housing is 1.75. Does this seem liek too much curl when placed in the housing? I would think it would wear out over time. The impeller that came with the kitseemed to fit straight in without curling the blades.

-Thanks for the help

-Wes

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the vanes are suppose to curl. the shaft in the water pump is off centered. so the vanes move when operating.

ableberry

Cadet

Alright, this time I have pictures... see attached

The water pump repair kit for a '77 35hp Johnson, BRP part #0389980. This is the kit referenced from the BRP site off the engine diagram.

Note the impeller for the same engine, same source for parts (BRP Web Site).

There is a distinct difference between the impeller that comes with the kit and the one listed as the replacement. There is also an apparent physical difference in the housing displayed on the BRP engine diagram than that supplied in the kit.

Is it still advised to try to fit the large impeller in this kit?

-Wes

Attachments

• 18-3006[1].jpg
    18-3006[1].jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 389980LRG[1].jpg
    389980LRG[1].jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 0