1964 Evinrude 75hp Speedifour, distributor advance

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade
When I did the link & sync recently I advanced the distributor by pushing to to the stop and tied it off. Now when I push the throttle to WOT I notice the distributor is about a 1/4" off the rubber stop but the carb and throttle tower are right at their respective stops. Should the distributor be against the stop at WOT?

Last edited:

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: 1964 Evinrude 75hp Speedifour, distributor advance

A manual will show how to put the spark, and throttle linkage in proper relation. That distributor is belt driven, and must be in time with the crankshaft just for a start. I don't have the manual in front of me, and to slow at typing to spell out the whole procedure. You need a proper manual.

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have a manual that explains the link & sync and the motor runs great, I'm just not sure if the distributor should be fully advanced at the stop at WOT.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Yes, it should be. That is the first step in the link and sync. You need to start over. The distributor should be at full advance when the tower lever is aligned with the triangular boss on the bracket. Adjust by using the two screws in the slotted flat linkage.

Only then, after that is correct, do you do the carburetor sync part. Your manual should explain all that in detail.

Is the spring on the tower lever OK?

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The spring on the tower is OK. I had the distributor pushed against the stop and tied off with an elastic cord while I went through the process. I read and re-read the process to ensure I did it right. I even connected the carb linkage when I had a 0.020 feeler gauge between the triangular boss and the tower lever. That was a feat with only two hands!

Still no banging in the gears like I thought I had a little while ago. I think it was the engine missing.

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Maybe the spring is too weak now. I cranked the tower to WOT and adjusted the distributor arm to push the distributor to the full advance stop. I think this is as good as it gets for a 44 year old motor. Watch the video and let me know what you think. See any smoke???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LyQ9JnFaI4