1967 Evinrude Speedifour 80 Horse

Leavens

Recruit
Good Morning,

I have an older Evinrude Model # 80753R. It has a leak coming from the gearcase right above the Propeller? I believe this is a water intake, But I don't think their should be gear oil coming out of their? Is this a major problem? Does anyone know where I can get parts, breakdowns or any any information on this outboard? This motor runs great so I would hate to see it not get used for a simple fix?

Thanks for your help.....

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1967 Evinrude Speedifour 80 Horse

welcome. the exhaust is also there, very normal it is unburnt fuel exhaust crap. suggest you decarb your motor.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=207285

Decarb, take a can of seafoam put 3/4 of it in the gas tank, with only 1 gallon of premixed gas. put the rest in a spray bottle. start the engine, and let it come up to temperature. then remove plugs, and them some real good shot of seafoam into the cylinders, replace plugs, let sit 15 minutes. restart, and spray the rest of the seafoam into the carbs, so the the motor almost stalls, wait and repeat until the seafoam is gone.then take for a wide open spin. then put in new plugs, ad premixed gas to the tank, and take it for a wide open throttle spin. it is going to smoke like a house on fire, during this process.

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1967 Evinrude Speedifour 80 Horse

It has a leak coming from the gearcase right above the Propeller?
Do you have an oily dribble when you pull the motor up or when it's vertical on the trailer? That's unburned fuel draining out of the exhaust. That's normal and it makes a mess. You might even see it come out the small drain holes around the lower end.