9.9 Evinrude fuel issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a 1978 Evinrude 9.9 outboard and have it on a small 16' pontoon boat. It starts right up and runs out great. The problem: After a few minutes of running, at any speed, the motor stops running. If I try to start it without pumping the fuel primer ball, it will not restart. If I pump the primer ball, it starts right up again, runs great for a few minutes and stops again. The ball, after it stops feels soft again, but it pumps right up. It is obviously a fuel delivery related problem but here is what I have done so far. Put a new fuel pump on it. Rebuilt the carb. Tried three different fuel tanks, with new gas, vents open and closed. Tried three different fuel lines with new bulbs. Two 3/8" and a brand new 5/16" ( a real Evinrude hose and bulb ). Cut the new hose down so the hose was shorter. Brought the tank onboard so it was at a higher elevation. I know the fuel pump works with cylinder compression, but the motor runs great with a lot of power when running? The water pump works fine and the motor does not run hot. If I catch it before it actually dies, and pump the ball, it stays running so it can't be electrical. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can share with me. Dave

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 9.9 Evinrude fuel issue

Welcome to iboats.

Your fuel pump is not functioning for whatever reason. Did you rebuild it?

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Wow. You sure have done everything I would have suggested. It sure does sound like a fuel delivery problem. Have you tried pulling the hose off the fuel pump exit to make sure it actually is pumping into a pail or something? Slim chance but not sure what else to offer. You must be pretty frustrated.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Air leak into the fuel line either at the connector or on the hose from there to the fuel pump?

Air leak on the filter? Any signs of gas leaking from any of those places when the bulb is pumped.

Pump not pumping for some reason. !!! :confused:

BTW the bulb wiil not stay hard while the engine is running.

Have not tried removing the hose but will do next time I am on it. I actually bought a brand new "complete" fuel pump and it was not cheap. One thing though. The inlet and outlets were at a different angle on the new pump. Took it apart and spun the base to the right configuration to match the old one. I know I got it back togther right. Assumed it was a universal style pump? What about those small 12 volt electric, low pressure, fuel pumps made by Sierra Marine for outboards? Anyone ever used one? Dave

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Which pump did you get? Part number?

Thanks so much High Trim. I believe with the info you sent, I should be able to get her going. Will try this coming weekend. Dave

It is fixed!!! Thanks to all of you for your help, especially high trim for the pump breakdown link, which actually showed me what was wrong with the pump assembly. Dave

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
google Leroys Ramblings, look through his articles, he has a breakdown for the fuel pump.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Or you could start your own thread instead of posting on one that is 11 yrs old.

Status
Not open for further replies.