1995 johnson fast strike blowing fuse ideas?

I have a 1995 155 fast strike when i'm at full throttle or almost and hit a wave or sometimes not even I blow the fuse in the engine compartment. I've searched for a short can't find one can anyone help? respond here or e-mail me at nwmtfishnfur@blackfoot.net

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1995 johnson fast strike blowing fuse ideas?

Apparently you've got a short that is only activated by having something jerked around...... a vibrating type thing.

I'd suggest using a analog (needle) type ohm meter, set at high ohms, connect the leads together momentarily and adjust the meter for full scale.

Remove the fuse from its holder. Attach one lead from the ohm meter into the fuse connector that leads to the engine wiring harness (NOT TO THE POWER SOURCE), and connect the other meter lead to a powerhead ground.

Have the ignition key in the ON position, spin the propeller and set the throttle to full throttle. This simulates the mode whereas you encounter the problem.

The meter should indicate some reading due to the various electronic components BUT it should not read full scale. Should it read full scale, try the meter on low ohms after resetting the meter needle.

Now, start jiggling wires, banging various portions of the engine and boat and watch for that meter to jump to full scale which would reveal the area of the short.