compression on looper engine

black1

Recruit
Hello I have a 1989 v6 johnson looper engine and was wondering what would be concidered good compression: I have 72-75 psi on all cyl but dont have the power I think it should -brought to marina -they striped spark plug hole, didnt tell me till later just said the engine is wore out . starts up good and idles fine it is on 19' statos bass boat with 14.5x26 prop top rpm was 3500 --changed prop to 14.25x17 4 blade and still only could get 4900 rpm any help is appreciated thank you

Last edited:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: compression on looper engine

Welcome to iboats. there are no published numbers. guide we use is ; over 100psi, but most important is that they are within 10% of each other. post your results, you will get opinions.

black1

Recruit

does that indicate a rebuild ?could i get away with rings and have the bores honed? thank you

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hello I have a 1989 v6 johnson looper engine and was wondering what would be concidered good compression: I have 72-75 psi on all cyl but dont have the power I think it should -brought to marina -they striped spark plug hole, didnt tell me till later just said the engine is wore out . starts up good and idles fine it is on 19' statos bass boat with 14.5x26 prop top rpm was 3500 --changed prop to 14.25x17 4 blade and still only could get 4900 rpm any help is appreciated thank you

Have you checked the compression on the engine? 72 - 75 is low, but I would expect the cylinders to be more than 3psi apart if it was indeed worn that far. All guages read different. Get a screw in compression tester that holds the reading and take all of the plugs out. Make sure the battery is fully charged and turn the engine over 4 or 5 revolutions on each cylinder until it reaches the highest reading. Then report back what you find.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If the psi numbers are close and the engine runs well forget compression, Black1.

I think you are still overpropped. What boat is it on?