Factory Service manual or Clymer? 72 Evinrude 18hp

Sparkadelic

Cadet
Just wondering which one I should get. I have Clymer's for my vehicles and ATV's. I had a factory service manual for one of my vehicles and it had a lot of extra info that helped me a few times where my Clymer couldn't. Although I found the factory manual was wrote/made for mechanics and the Clymer is more suited for the average garage junky, in terms of wording and the pictures.

I may get both eventually, just wondering which one you all would prefer.

Brad

Benny1963

Lieutenant
Re: Factory Service manual or Clymer? 72 Evinrude 18hp

i built my first motor with a clymer had to ask many questions
i built my second motor v6 with factory manual ,alot less quetions were asked
the factory manual will cover only your motor and year line the others cover every motor in alot of years so ya have to flip back and forth
i read the manual on the rebuild of my 175 three or four times before i even started ,then used it when i got stuck ,when i couldnt understand [after trying i got help on this forum i know have built several v6s and several small motor ,as well as making aliitle on the side for my parts by fixing others small repairs such as waterpumps and carb rebuilds and ign trouble shooting
basic to help buy my motors and get parts and sometimes trade for work
read it read try it then get on forum
good luck

5150abf

Vice Admiral

A guy at work was having problems with his motor, brought in a Clymers manual, it covered 22 different models so 90% of it had nothing to do with his motor.

A factory manual covers your motor only, if it is in the book it has something to do with your specific motor, moral, get the factory manual.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

factory manual is for working on the motor, clymer is used to put on the driveway, to catch the oil drips, when changing lower unit oil, seloc is used to keep you knees clean when changing the lower oil.

Sparkadelic

Cadet

Thank you. those responses were pretty much what I was thinking. I really like the specific detail in the factory manual. I agree that the Clymers get a little vague in some areas and with the multitude of different years and sizes that they cover in one manual.....well it seems to take away from some important info. that they did not have any room for.

My factory service manual for my van was still more pages than the Clymer that covered multiple years and models.

I guess I knew all long. I do appreciate the confirmation from you folks though.

Thanks again,

Brad