1985 E15RC0B Evinrude 15 HP

Zoomie

Recruit
I am going to ?make ready? a 1985 Evinrude 15 Horsepower Model Number E15RC0B outboard for a friend. This motor has been in storage for 10 years. The engine was used very little prior to storage.

Ignition spark is strong. Compression is 90 PSI (cold) on both cylinders. To my knowledge OMC did not publish compression specifications for this engine. I believe they just said you should not have more than 15 percent difference between cylinders. I will perform a leakdown test tomorrow.

I briefly ran the motor. It started easily but runs poorly. I see no water discharge indicating water pump operating.

Below is a list of what I will do to the engine. Is there anything I am missing?

1. Clean the carburetor and install repair kit parts.
  2. Clean the fuel pump and install a repair kit.
  3. Install water pump kit.
  4. Replace fuel lines.
  5. Replace spark plugs.
  6. Install new thermostat.
  7. Remove carbon from head and piston and replace head gasket.
  8. Replace oil in gear case.

Questions:
  1. Does anyone have a PDF service manual for this engine? I have many PDF small engine and outdoor power equipment service manuals to trade.
  2. I use ?Valucraft Carb Cleaner? Part Number: AZ-4, from Auto Zone in my small engine business. This is an aerosol cleaner that is the best I have ever used. This stuff will melt away varnish. On the down side it will damage some rubber and plastic parts. I have heard some carburetors on outboard engines were made of a porous metal and sealed with a sealer. If you use strong cleaners the carburetor can be damaged. Any truth to this? How about the carburetor on this engine?
  3. What is the torque for head bolts? Is there a specific torque pattern?

Any comments or tips are appreciated. I have extensive experience in a variety of small engines and aircraft piston engines. Long ago I took classes in outboard repair.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1985 E15RC0B Evinrude 15 HP

outboard carb requires dismantling, cleaning of high and low speed jets. the compression is fine. no need to pull head, us a seafoam decarb works better, and no chance of breaking a bolt. the rest is right on.

Decarb, take a can of seafoam put 3/4 of it in the gas tank, with only 1 gallon of premixed gas. put the rest in a spray bottle. start the engine, and let it come up to temperature. then remove plugs, and them some real good shot of seafoam into the cylinders, replace plugs, let sit 15 minutes. restart, and spray the rest of the seafoam into the carbs, so the the motor almost stalls, wait and repeat until the seafoam is gone.then take for a wide open spin. then put in new plugs, ad premixed gas to the tank, and take it for a wide open throttle spin. it is going to smoke like a house on fire, during this process.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy, Zoomie.

Welcome to iboats.:)

Lots of vets and retirees here.

You will have to buy a paper manual. Factory reprints are available here at iboats.

Zoomie

Recruit

Thanks for the welcome JB and the response tashasdaddy. This is really one busy forum.

I have to pull the head to access the thermostat so I will mechanically remove the carbon while I have it open.

I am a fan of Sea-Foam but I think it is overrated. In my experience I have found mechanical carbon removal superior to chemical. Stihl makes an Engine De-Carbonizer PN 0781-313-8018 that is very effective for removing carbon from their 4-Mix? engines. A 4-Mix? is a 2-cycle with valves instead of reeds or ports. The 4-Mix? is a good engine but one must stay on top of carbon removal.

Too bad about the manual not being available as PDF. I have come to like PDF manuals. I have a notebook computer in my shop and most of my manuals are in PDF format. Honda even utilizes an interactive manual on CD in the PDF format.

Still looking for responses to my other questions.

ratracer

Petty Officer 1st Class

9. Grease the linkage points, shift lever, swivel, tilt lever and shaft, tiller, and clamp screws.

I think the '85s were the last year to have the gear assembly for the throttle control at the tiller elbow, check to make sure that they mesh cleanly and that the existing grease doesn't have a lot of sand or grit embedded. Clean and regrease as necessary.

clanton

Rear Admiral

When you get the engine up and running, with waterpump replacement. If overheating , little or no water from tattle tale. Replace the water tube upper grommet number 55 on the parts list, requires power head removeal.

Zoomie

Recruit

Tashasdaddy,
After realizing I only need to remove the ?cylinder head water cover? and NOT the cylinder head to access the thermostat I better understand your suggestion to use Sea-Foam to de-carbon. I will most likely give it a try.

Also, thanks to ratracer and clanton for their tips.

I ran across a link to a site that confirms much said by y?all and answers every question I had and some I did not know to ask. LeeRoy Wisner wrote these series of how to articles and tips did an outstanding job.:)

http://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/OMC/OMC info.htm

BaitThrower

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi mate I have just finished doing a lot fo work to my 1986 15hp Johnson, which is essentially the same motor as yours! Yes LeeRoy's site is invaluable. Tons of information there and I learnt lots. I just finished removed the head and cleaning out the waterways and replacing the thermostat etc. Can be tricky with the head bolts but not too bad if you have the right tools.

Also changed water pump and lots of other stuff. havent touched the carb yet, haven't needed too, but if you need help with anything, send me a PM and I'll do my best!

Good luck!