'86 60HP Johnson Voltage

Dewey Hatcher

Recruit
My 1986 Johnson 60HP indicated a voltage output of 16.8 volts when the engine is running at the higher rpm's, so I purchased a new rectifier/voltage regulator and installed it. The new unit indicates 16.7 volts when running at the same rpm. Is this normal and if not, why would the regulator not be working properly? I am concerned about overcharging the battery. THANKS

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: '86 60HP Johnson Voltage

What does the meter read with the engine at rest? Some of these volt meters' are not the last word in quality. The charge output on your engine is not high enough to be a concern of over charging, or heating. Is the battery of known good quality, a faulty battery can make the system show a high charge. Make sure all connections are clean, and tight. Don't use wing nuts on the battery, brass, or stainless steel nuts

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

How are you getting your readings.Use a handheld voltmeter.Check at battery when off.Start eng,check battery when eng is running ,give some throttle and note the readings.

guy74

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thats pretty normal voltage on an unregulated charging system like those motors have. My 1988 60hp Johnson ran the voltage up over 17 volts when it was running at 6000rpms for a long time. It never hurt anything, just made me watch the gauge. You say you changed the regulator, but to my knowledge those motors only have a rectifier, no regulator.