Milky White LU Oil on '95 Evinrude 200 Vindicator

luckyinkentucky

Chief Petty Officer
Engine: 1995 Evinrude 200 Vindicator

Yesterday I was out on the water, and everything was running smoothly all day. Then when I went to dock to pull in the shifter on my control box was very hard to shift, and didn't want to budge without force. So, I got it into gear and pulled out of the water.

Today, it shifts fine on muffs, but I thought I'd go ahead and change the LU Oil. When I drained it the oil had a lot of milky white streaks in it, and the bottom drain plug had a few very small metal shavings on it. Not very many at all, but just around 4 or 5 very small shavings.

Do you think I have LU problems or is this normal to see a very small amount of shavings on the bottom drain plug? If you think I have problems ... what could they be? I was always taught that water in the oil makes it milky white. Am I wrong?

Thanks in advance.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: Milky White LU Oil on '95 Evinrude 200 Vindicator

The small amount of shavings is normal, but will bring advice to shift quickly from neutral to whichever gear you are using, and not to shift from forward to reverse quickly or vice versa.

The milky gear oil is contaminated with water. That often is caused by failure to replace the seals on the fill and vent pugs when they have been opened, but may be because of seals failing at the propshaft, driveshaft, or shift rod.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

well you have water in there. did you replace the drain and vent plug seal last oil change. always replace them. i think i would have it pressure or vacuum tested. to besure the seal were the leak. it could have been the lower unit. or you could have cables about to go.

luckyinkentucky

Chief Petty Officer

:D

Thanks Guys. That's definitely good news compared to what I was thinking!

I was thinking .... well .... you can probably guess. No need to Jinx myself! :)

I'll replace the seals tomorrow.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

You may want to check the shift assist switch at the shift lever on the engine. It is supposed to drop three cylinders to make getting out of gear easier.

Attachments

• Shift Assist Switch.JPG
    Shift Assist Switch.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 0

luckyinkentucky

Chief Petty Officer

You may want to check the shift assist switch at the shift lever on the engine. It is supposed to drop three cylinders to make getting out of gear easier.

I worked with it some more tonight, and I have to force it all the way into REVERSE before it will go into FORWARD. It's appears to be something in the remote throttle, but I haven't disassembled it to find out yet. There is a definite 'click' that wasn't there before. Any suggestions on what to check while I'm in there? I have a Service Manual for the engine, but it is very vague about what to look for. It only shows me how to replace the cables from the engine forward, but they seem fine.