1950's Evinrude 35 HP problems any help would be nice

MrBigStuff1

Recruit
I have an old 35 hp evinrude outboard that runs great, the only problem is that when i try to engage the motor into forward or reverse the lever on the side of the motor just shakes back and forth, and the motor doesn't engage into gear anyone have any suggestions that i may be able to try on the motor to get it to work better.

Thanks MrBigStuff1:)

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1950's Evinrude 35 HP problems any help would be nice

bell crank is what i got off the top of my head, the book tells how to check it. there is a cover on the side of the shaft houseing to get access to it, but thats all i remember

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

The plate on the side of the exhaust tower is to allow access to a connector that is used to join the upper and lower shift rods. If the gearcase of your motor has been pulled recently, and particulalry if this problem showed up right after that, I would say that the shift rods were not properly inserted and fastened into the link.

Another possibility is that the shift lever in the gearcase has some sort of problem. One way to check this is to drop the gear case from the exhaust tower and shift the gears by grasping the lower shift rod. If the gearcase shifts firmly into forward and reverse (check by holding the driveshaft and turning the prop), chances are that this isn't your problem.

The next possibility is that there is a problem on the opposite end of the shift rod assembly, at the clevis. While I own a couple of these motors, I have never had the need to get into the interior parts in the upper end of the exhaust tower, so I will defer to others on just what the problem might be and how to check for it. Suffice it to say, however, if the top end of the upper shift rid is not connected to the clevis properly, that could be your problem.

The later motors also had a way for the shift handle to be adjusted from the outside of the housing. I frankly don't know if the 50s models had this capability because, once again, I've never had a need to be concerned with the issue. Maybe someone else here can shed some light on the matter.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The preceeding comments are all good, but unfortunatly this scenario is most likely: A totally worn out clutch dog and forward gear. Think $$money on this one. And if it isn't worn out, it soon will be. every time it jumps like that it knocks off another chunk of metal. Also, every time it jumps like that, it beats away at all the shift linkage parts.

Oh, and there is another one: The shift shaft -- the piece that the shift handle is attached to -- gets loose as a goose in the exhaust housing where it passes through. When that happens it doesn't move the shift rod up and down properly and that is death on the new dog and gear when you decide that it is worn out and replace it.

Every piece of the linkage as well as the dog and gear must be good or you are wasting your time and money.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

agree with F_R. i just sold a great running 35, the original, and replacement lowers both had bad dogs and gears. lots my tussy on that one.

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer

So I don't mean to hijack the thread or anything but concerning the loose shift shaft issue. Is there a bushing that can be replaced when that shaft gets loose? The one in my 18 does seem to be quite worn although at this point it still shifts and works ok. Does the wear usually occur on the housing (or bushing) or on the shaft itself? The shaft seems to have a little grease fitting nipple on it similar to the one on the steerer tube. I'm guessing it's never been touched.

Cheers......................Todd

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The aluminum housing wears or corrodes. Some models like the 35 are especially bad about that. I saw them rot away in just a few years in salt water, even on fairly new motors. The exhaust acids and crud blowing on it is as much the culprit as the salt water. I made several attempts to fit a bushing in, but the aluminum is so thin that it was futile.

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer

Gotcha, thanks! :)

Cheers............Todd