74 Evinrude 9.9 Shift adjustment

Status
Not open for further replies.

PW2

Commander
My 9.9 for some reason won't shift into reverse gear. I replaced the brass linkage coupler (it had a broken ear when I unscrewed it).

I manually tried the linkage in the lower unit alone by pushing it up and down, and it seems to work fine- it engages both fwd neutral and rev gears fine, and it works reasonably easy. I'm sure the brass coupler was put on correct. Forward and neutral seem to work as they should, but it is acting like there is not quite enough travel in the shift linkage to engage rev gear.

I've tried adjusting the linkage to every possible setting, without results. Even when the apparatus is unbolted from the engine, and it is free to move to the limits of lever travel, it still doesn't engage rev

This motor is new to me, but I've had other similar motors and never had a problem getting them to shift, or getting them adjusted. Is there any chance either the linkage that goes to the shift lever in the engine, or the rod that goes down in the gear cradle, is somehow out of adjustment?

What would I check?

I have available an alternate lower unit that I can put on to see if that works, but I can't see anything wrong with this one, beside the fact, of course, that it doesn't work.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 74 Evinrude 9.9 Shift adjustment

shift rod adjustment, but not familiar with the particular motor.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

What would I check
no adjustment anywhere as far as i know but excessive wear in the connections via the bell crank to the shift lever shaft could be a problem. If you hold the shift rod can you feel any excessive slack in the linkages at the top end when you move the lever.

Similarly but, less likely, wear in the yoke assembly in the lower unit could cause problems. Not so easy to assess I guess but does all that feel free of excessive backlash when you operate the shift just using the bottom section of the shift rod.

I think when in neutral the shift lever should be vertcal.

The diagrams on the BRP site HERE will help you understand how it all operates.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The most common problem is that the connector between the sections of shift rod is not reconnected properly, leaving the rod either too long or too loose to work correctly.

The screw must be removed completely, the rod inserted and the screw returned so that the beveled part of the rod is grasped tightly.

Attachments

• shift rod connector 2.JPG
    shift rod connector 2.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 1

PW2

Commander

Is that connecting rod threaded that goes down in the lower unit and attaches to the shift yoke? Is it possible that it got unscrewed a turn or two? It does seem very loose when I put it back together. It's currrently back on the motor, and I won't be able to get to it till tomorrow. Thanks.

tashasdaddy

that is the connector, that you access thur the plate in the leg of the motor.

limacina

Seaman

Just an update to this, it looks like any adjustment would be by bending the shift rod. My gearcase got left under some heavy stuff in my dads shed this winter and after what I thought was the correct bending back it wont shift.
I just printed some pics to copy to try to get it back to normal.

GA_Boater

Asking for pictures in a 9+ year old thread is not cool. Who is going to have them when the photographer has been gone for half a decade?

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.