Spark Plug and Gap - Johnson 115hp V4?

enginesilo

Petty Officer 1st Class
What is the best replacement spark plug for a 2000 johnson 115hp carbureted engine? Also, what is the gap? .030?

jwd000

Cadet
Re: Spark Plug and Gap - Johnson 115hp V4?

Just curious but why is Champion the recommended plug for Evinrude/Johnson?

Do they just make better plugs or is there a reason why an equivalent spec from another brand is a bad idea?

The reason I asked was I was needing some replacement plugs in a hurry yesterday (trying to resolve flooding and wet plugs issue) and had to change my Champion Plugs (L77HC4) for an equivalent NGK version.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the motor was built to run on Champion Plugs, NGK and others are known to cause a misfire, in these motors. NAPA even has this noted in there computer, when you look up the plugs.

jwd000

Cadet

Thanks for that. While we're on the subject, I managed to hook the spark leads up to the wrong cylinders when I put them back on (yes it was one of those days).

Left side was ok but the right side leads were reversed(ie lower right coil connected to upper right cylinder). Apart from sounding terrible when it started,would I have done any damage the the engine? It was only run in medium idle speed on the flushing muffs.

I'm having nightmares about a bent crankshaft or something similar.

James

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

It'll take a lot more than that to bend one of those cranks.......

You should be just fine. Go have fun.

jwd000

Cadet

Thanks. I worry too much :)

I think half the benefits of servicing is about confidence renewal rather than any mechanical maintenance issues.

James