Identifying a Johnson 6HP outboard

jancan1

Recruit
I have a Johnson 6hp outboard that I cannot identify the year of. The serial number appears to be C8001339 Is there a site somewhere that someone knows of that could help me identify the year of this motor? Thanks in advance for any help

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Identifying a Johnson 6HP outboard

From my limited collection of serial numbers, I guess it to be a '78 or '79. You can compare decals, etc from pictures at http://www.old-omc.de/ However, they only go up to 1977, so yours may be newer than that.

ottertail

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Should be a model number on the identification plate. That number will tell all but if not post a picture of the hood and the decals will tell alot. If it has the original hood that is.

timmytugboat

Recruit

Now I'm no JohnsonRude expert, I run mostly Mercs and Yamahas, but today I bought my first Johnson, a 1973 6hp short shaft. The serial # is J373xxxx, and the 3rd and 4th digits are the only place in the number where '73' occurs. Maybe just co-incidence, but perhaps the 3rd and 4th digits represent the year of manufacture? If so, you may have a 2000 year model.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Now I'm no JohnsonRude expert, I run mostly Mercs and Yamahas, but today I bought my first Johnson, a 1973 6hp short shaft. The serial # is J373xxxx, and the 3rd and 4th digits are the only place in the number where '73' occurs. Maybe just co-incidence, but perhaps the 3rd and 4th digits represent the year of manufacture? If so, you may have a 2000 year model.

Please ask your question in a new thread, not one that is 5 years old...

Thank you.