"No oil light" 2000 70hp Johnson

I just purchased this motor. It has less than 50hrs and everything works great except the "no oil light" comes on after ~1 minute or if I try to go about 2000 rpm. The bulb is tight and the low oil light is OFF. I did't want to push my luck so I never tried anything else in terms of RPMs, amt of time running etc. Any suggestions?

khes142

Cadet
Re: "No oil light" 2000 70hp Johnson

Immediately only run motor using 50:1 premix in the fuel tank.look for air leaks in the oil line, or a clogged oil filter inside the oil bucket base plate.You may just need to pre-prime the oil line, if it is real long or kinked somewhere.You are NOT getting proper oil into the carbs, from the VRO pump.When I remove my oil line from the VRO pump once a year to test the warning system...it takes about as long as you describe to signal the no oil alarm.

I dont think there is a kink but the hose is long. I tried to pump the bulb while running but it is tight. Also used a clear tube and filled it with oil and watched it go down as the VRO pulsed. There is plenty smoke at the beginning and seems to die off a little but is there when the alarm goes off.

Is there a no oil sensor somewhere?

Also, my oil tank is sealed so that no air gets in. Is this right?

khes142

Cadet

no oil sensor is inside the vro pump.all vro tanks are direct vented...just look carefully at the vent port.there is a manual specified procedure to verify oil flow using that clear tubing you mentioned...but it is involved and I do not know it off the top of my head...you need the manual. You can run on 50:1 premix all season long, and dig into the oil alarm later if you want, without causing any damage.my motor is a 02 90hp johnson.The VRO no oil monitor is complicated...little piston counts oil pulses to prove oil flow?? The parts microfiche on the VRO is a little sketchy. It looked to me that you have to swap the entire VRO pump if the "pulse counter piston" part fails.

riverbum55

Recruit

I just purchased this motor. It has less than 50hrs and everything works great except the "no oil light" comes on after ~1 minute or if I try to go about 2000 rpm. The bulb is tight and the low oil light is OFF. I did't want to push my luck so I never tried anything else in terms of RPMs, amt of time running etc. Any suggestions?
I too have had the same thing happen I have a 1998 70 johnson and owned it for six years never had a problem till now. The no oil alarm sounds I shut the motor down waited to see if it will do it again. It did if I'm idling or running it sounds. If you have a solution Please help? :confused: