71 60hp johnson impellor

merc1877

Cadet
i have a 1971 johnson 60hp with the electric shift and this is my first motor so im not sure of much and dont have a manual yet but i need this motor up and going fast but anyways the motor hasnt been used in some time and i got to thinking the impeller prolly needs replaced to be on the safe side. so i just need to know if im right on taking the lower unit off all i have to do is unhook the blue and green wires from around the powerhead tie a string to them to make getting them back up easier then i just unscrew the bolts connecting the lower unit to the midsection then just drop it down. feeding the wires through slow and easy. is that right? and when i put the impeller in someone said something about oiling it do i do that and with what kinda oil. do i need to use a sealer like blue rtv sealant on the housing and on the lower unit when i put it back on? thanks for any and all help you can give.

merc1877

Cadet
Re: 71 60hp johnson impellor

do you know how much type c that the motor takes?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

there is a grommet on the wire going thru the pan to the midsection. you need to release the grommet before dropping the unit, if not you could damage the wires. be very careful with them. they are old, and extremely hard to find, if you can. also when reinstalling, the grommet needs something slick, on it to get it back in place, as it keeps exhaust from entering the cowl. also besure the wire is clear of the exhaust housing and drive shaft, or it will wear, or burn, shorting out.

no need for sealer, and besure to grease the splines, and the O ring on the top of the shaft.

merc1877

Cadet

thanks tashasdaddy i appreciate the help what is a good grease to use on them and do you happen to know how much type c oil goes in those lower units