install location for temp sender on 90 V4

boomtime

Cadet
anyone have any experience installing a teleflex 3/8 or 1/2 inch water temp sender anywhere on a 1990 johnson v4 90hp?
im adding a temp gauge because i dont trust the overtemp switches. also are those over temp switches in the cover of the power heads threaded?...they dont appear to be.
any input on this is appreciated.
thanks

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: install location for temp sender on 90 V4

The temperature switches in the crossflow motors are imbedded in pockets in the cylinder heads and held in place by the water covers. They are probably the most reliable electrical component in the OMC system although the warning horns are not.

Temperature gauges require variable signals and cannot be controlled by a switch. The looper motors have recesses in the cylinder heads but the crossflows do not, so the sender must be surface mounted to contact the cylinder head.

Here is a link to the Teleflex installation guide. Figure 7 shows how to mount a surface sender. I have used them on all of my V4 motors, one for each bank. Some boaters put two senders and a switch so that they can use just one gauge.

http://ww2.tflx.com/PDF/99625.pdf

boomtime

Cadet

very nice thanks for the quick reply.
question: how do i know if my sender is a surface mount or meant to contact cooling water? because the box doesnt mention anything about this. Im going to try to google the model number and check teleflex website also.
TIA

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

None of the standard water temperature gauges' senders for OMC outboard motors actually touch water. They are in contact with metal for a good ground and the metal is adjacent to the cooling water for the temperature reading.

boomtime

Cadet

sorry about that i realize it was a dumb question after doing some more research. The Z bracket that you are referring to in figure 7...where can that be obtained or is the idea to fabricate ur own to hold the sender in one of those pits on the head cover?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The Z bracket comes with the kit along with the correct sender and wire. Be careful not to order just a gauge. If you have any doubt at all, contact the folks at Teleflex and they will help you get it set up. Iboats is a major retailer for Teleflex.

The tech support e-mail and phone numbers are at the bottom of the page at the following link: http://ww2.tflx.com/tech.html

boomtime

Cadet

i thoroughly examined the power heads today and unfortunately for me there doesnt appear to be any good place to mount the sender with metal/metal contact and the Z bracket. It appears the only way to use this method would be to drill out a hole in the head water cover to allow the sender to sit in and the cover seems awfully thin. Not sure where to go now...btw the motor is a J90TLATS model

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

J90TLATS is a 1993 V4 crossflow Model number.

The cylinder heads on the crossflow V4 motors have not changed dramatically since the 1960's.

The temp sender has always and still does mount with a Z bracket installed by removing one of the cylinder head bolts, baring the metal and bolting the bracket to the cylinder head.

The sender then is screwed into the bracket, and turned until it is tight against the water cover head. The area where the sender makes contact should be sanded for the best thermal contact.

The OMC/BRP kits work the same as the Teleflex kits.

Attachments

• Fig 7.JPG
    Fig 7.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 11

boomtime

Cadet

wow u are the man, i noticed it said 1993 stamped in the inside top of my cowling and i did mention that in another thread but no one answered if that was reliable way to date the motor.
excellent so now i know its a 1993 and can order parts
thanks again buddy ill buy u a beer and show u some grouper holes if ur ever down here. :D