1986 Johnson 4HP Deluxe J4RDHCDE

lateofphilly

Recruit
Just got a new toy a 1986 Johnson 4HP Deluxe model# J4RDHCDE
First time dealing with outboards if any type
She hasnt been run in 4-5 years.
I put it in a tank.
Gave her a tad of straight 2stroke in each cylinder.
turned her a few times.
Then hooked up the fuel. First issue the primer bulb wouldnt go hard, checked tank and the fuel pickup rod had become disconnected. Reconnected that which leads to my first question
? #1) should I put any type of glue or sealent to keep it connected?

okay after reconnecting primer bulb went hard after 5 squeezes.
Removed fuel pump fuel line connector and gave the bulb a squeeze. Got fuel that far. reconnected gave her a couple of pulls and she turned over.

decent stream of water from top hole, enough too arc out
little bit of water trickling out of the cover undernieth the pee hole
part number 80 VINTGE L/P 8.33 on this sheet http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/1986/J4RDHCDE 1986/MIDSECTION/parts.html

she idled for a bit then quit, the primer bulb did not seem to hard after this.

I am going to get a new headgasket so I can pop her open and see what kind of build up is in the cylinder and on the piston.

I am going to get a new impeller ( this is a new one for me )

? #2) the lower unit where it comes apart looks like it has never been apart. The factory paint is still over the seam. Is this normal? do I cut the paint with a razor where the seam is? or just unscrew the three bolts and take apart?

I am also getting a carb kit for it.

?#3 Is there no air filter? just an open hole for the intake?

Also does if anybody knows of any common isses with this particular motor let me know, or if I should be doing anything to get it back to a reliable running condition

Attachments

• IMG_3486.JPG
    IMG_3486.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3482.JPG
    IMG_3482.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3483.JPG
    IMG_3483.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 1

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1986 Johnson 4HP Deluxe J4RDHCDE

if compression is equal between cylinders i would not pull head. check your spark. do the carb and impeller. after the motor starts the bulb will not be hard, as the fuel pump has taken over. if using a plastic tank, i would replace it. most outboards have not air filter, some have a noise suppressor. you can see complete diagrams here.
http://shop2.evinrude.com/ext/index.aspx?s1=bf6ad09c53cead335fcfd8a6471c0f7f

parts here http://www.iboats.com/Johnson_Outboard_Parts/dm/category_id.271265--view_id.271265

lateofphilly

Recruit

Thanks for the quick reply. The tank from what I understand is the original low profile 3 gal that came with the motor. It's in fairly nice shape so I figure I will just try to keep the tube seated in there somehow.
Thanks for the info on the bulb, my newbieness showing.
So you say if the compression is fine dont pull the head, okay I will check it out.

I'm fairly good mechanically, just never did any ANY work on outboards
so the whole lower unit thing is new with the impeller and all. Guess I will figure it out. Once you start searching there is allot of good info to sift through

Have a good one

Flustered

Recruit

I have the same motor, I hope you got it running. I took mine apart because it had a blockage in the cooling canals. I forgot how the wiring wnet though. I am looking for somebody with the same motor who can take a picture or two that shows the wiring from the ignition pack to the sparkplugs and the ground connections. Any help would be appreciated.

larryfeusse

Recruit

I am looking to buy one of these motors. Would you like to sell yours in it's current condition?

Thanks,
Larry

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would. (same year)

With the air filter thing - not much dust/dirt in the middle of the lake.