HELP! EVINRUDE 1988 48 HP SPL -Wont turn off!

adlury

Recruit
Trying to sell MY 1971 Crestiline with the above engine. When I start up the motor within 4 or 5 minutes it builds to a top RPM roar that can't be stopped unless I disconnect the gas line to the engine. I am clueless as to what is causing this other than the fact that my last mechanic replaced the regulator a year ago. Is this still the problem?...Is there anything else that I need to check or do I have to call in another mechanic to get the engine running correctly. Quite embarrassing when showing the motor to a potential buyer and you have no way of shutting it off - shutting the key and the battery switch does not work!.. Please help looking to sell ASAP

Baffled in MA

iwombat

Captain
Re: HELP! EVINRUDE 1988 48 HP SPL -Wont turn off!

Does it do this w/o you touching the throttle at all, or are you throttling it up and then it runs away?

Richard Kaye

Recruit

Trying to sell MY 1971 Crestiline with the above engine. When I start up the motor within 4 or 5 minutes it builds to a top RPM roar that can't be stopped unless I disconnect the gas line to the engine. I am clueless as to what is causing this other than the fact that my last mechanic replaced the regulator a year ago. Is this still the problem?...Is there anything else that I need to check or do I have to call in another mechanic to get the engine running correctly. Quite embarrassing when showing the motor to a potential buyer and you have no way of shutting it off - shutting the key and the battery switch does not work!.. Please help looking to sell ASAP

Baffled in MA

check the ignitions switch. 2 stroke engines require a kill position like our old
dirt bikes the off position should be that kill position

5150abf

Vice Admiral

You need to figure this out before you run it again, WOT without a load is REALLY REALLY bad, I am suprised it didn't blow up.

Did it just start doing this?

adlury

Recruit

Does it do this w/o you touching the throttle at all, or are you throttling it up and then it runs away?

I turn the key and within 4 minutes off it goes to the races...dont touch the throttle at all....

adlury

Recruit

NO this has been an intermittent problem within the last year. When in gear moving in the water it is fine. However, in neutral have run into this problem before on the water.