How do I hook up remote oil tank?

chdabren

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My Starcraft 190 bowrider has an remote oil tank for "in line" oil feed to engine so I can utilize my onboard fuel tank. My question is...how does this remote oil tank hook up to my engine? Does it connect with the fuel pump and mix within the pump? I have 3 nipples on my pump (one for fuel feed from tank, a 2nd for feed to the carbs, and one more for vacuum pulse from engine). Which of those nipples should my remote oil feed go to? Seems to me that there isn't enuf nipples to use a remote oil tank. In other words, I don't know how to connect this puppy and I'd like to use it. Can anyone help me? thanks

Chris

The-Machinist

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How do I hook up remote oil tank?

What model is your engine? Chances are there is no way you can use the oil tank if it is an older motor

chdabren

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My engine is a 1974 Evinrude 85 hp (model 85493-B). I had toyed with the idea of using this remote oil setup as I wanted to use the inboard tank (24 gallons vs. my portable 6 gallon tank). The thought I had was "longer range and more time on the water". And...I really don't have a place to put my portable tank where it won't be in the way of passengers and a possible fire hazard sitting out exposed to the sun. I was going to repower with a newer motor but the $$'s right now are retardedly high. And, gas now is over the $4.00/gallon mark so a fill up on my big tank would be costly but would give me more time on the water. Guess I'll have to figure out how to mount my small tank. Any suggestions would be great. My bilge is way too small to mount a tank and I have transom seats in the back. No room under them to mount tank. Anyone wanna buy a boat?? lol

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Your motor does not have a oil mixing fuel pump, so you can forget using the remote oil tank for anything with your motor. Now, if the boat has a built in 24 gal. tank, you certainly can use that. Since you don't seem too knowledgeable, get a dealer to connect the tank using the correct fuel hose. Simple and won't cost much.

chdabren

Petty Officer 3rd Class

:mad: "since I don't seem too knowledgeable"....wow!!! hell of a thing to say!!!Thanks, pal!!!:mad: First of all....I am knowledgeable (master auto technician, tyvm)...2nd...Mr. Genius.....if I have an INBOARD tank, and I have the "dealer install a hose" to use the built-in tank, I still have to mix my gas/oil, Beavis!!! I don't want to do things that way which is why I was asking about the remote tank!!! All u had to say was "no, your engine isn't designed for using the remote tank" and ya coulda kept ur mouth shut about the rest :mad:!!! Congrats...u've insulted me and now I feel about this --- big. Way to go

Chris

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Come on dude -- lighten up. You asked a question and didn't like the response because you indeed are not knowledgeable on variable ratio oilers. I'm not knowledgeable on nuclear physics either but I certainly wouldn't get upset if someone reminded me of that fact. If you are a master auto tech you should realize that you can't simply connect an oil line to a fuel pump and expect a 50:1 fuel/oil ratio to be delivered to the engine. It takes a VRO pump (or in laymens terms) and oil mixing fuel pump to do that. You can certainly hook an oil tank up to a standard pump but the oil tank would be sucked dry in short order and the polution control people would have you in a straight jacket for fogging the lake without a license. Your engine never had oil injection capability and it can't be easily added.

CATransplant

Admiral

:mad: "since I don't seem too knowledgeable"....wow!!! hell of a thing to say!!!Thanks, pal!!!:mad: First of all....I am knowledgeable (master auto technician, tyvm)...2nd...Mr. Genius.....if I have an INBOARD tank, and I have the "dealer install a hose" to use the built-in tank, I still have to mix my gas/oil, Beavis!!! I don't want to do things that way which is why I was asking about the remote tank!!! All u had to say was "no, your engine isn't designed for using the remote tank" and ya coulda kept ur mouth shut about the rest :mad:!!! Congrats...u've insulted me and now I feel about this --- big. Way to go

Chris

Nobody was insulting you. Your engine doesn't have a means of mixing the oil, so you have to mix it in the tank. Your boat manufacturer doesn't know what outboard you have hanging on the transom. To cover all the possibilities, they put a remote oil tank on the boat, so the owner could use it IF the owner had an outboard that supported that.

You weren't aware of the fact that your outboard couldn't use a remote tank. That was why the poster reasoned that you did not have a lot of experience with outboards and, so, suggested that you have the work done.

Experience as an auto mechanic does not necessarily transfer to other types of transport. Folks here are answering questions on their own dime...nobody's getting paid. Usually, they answer questions here because someone once helped them on this forum and they want to return the favor.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Chris

Mellow out Sir !!!!
People here only want to help you. They will respond to what they read from the poster.
The nature of your post said you did not know what to do (I.E. "not knowledgeable" on the subject) no one is trying to insult you. If any of us do not know or are unclear about something then we ask.
I am without doubt "not knowledgeable" on a lot of things, that is why I read up on any similar posts out here and then if still in doubt.....I ask !!!!...and always get responses and advice to solve my issue.
Please remember that when posting.

chdabren

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yea, hey Silvertip.....I DO realize that you can't expect a non oil mixing motor to do the work of a VRO engine....I was asking because I didn't know if mine was "variable rate orifice", tyvm. So, whatever dude!!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Yea, hey Silvertip.....I DO realize that you can't expect a non oil mixing motor to do the work of a VRO engine....I was asking because I didn't know if mine was "variable rate orifice", tyvm. So, whatever dude!!

I was under the impression VRO was "variable ratio oiling"

I must have been mistaken.

See, now you have "educated me" as I was obviously "not knowledgeable"

Thank You and good luck with your boat.