1973 50hp Johnson water pump?

tevans720

Seaman Apprentice
I'm very new to marine motors so please bear with me if I ask a stupid question.

1.Where is the **** hole in a 73 50hp Johnson?

2.Water pump where is it?

3.If its not pissing right away will the pump need replacing? Like is there a thermostat keeping it from pissing right away?

I just got the 73 50 horse Johnson hooked it up to the muffs and I'm not seeing it **** anywhere. So I killed the motor in less than 15 seconds I don't wanna burn anything up. Should I have let it run longer and looked harder for the pissing? Or did I do the right thing?

I have heard that I may have to drop the lower unit to get at the water pump is that true? Is dropping it hard to do? Is it something like take it off put it to the side then when done just put it back on? What will I have to watch for? I have good mechanic skills but never with marine motors.

Sorry for all the questions just don't wanna mess anything up. I'm getting a book tomorrow to help as well.

Thanks for all the help!!!
Tyler

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1973 50hp Johnson water pump?

welcome to iboats. your first step is to buy yourself an Johnson manual.
http://www.iboats.com/Johnson_Repair_Manuals/dm/category_id.251023--view_id.251023
if you are going to maintain it yourself. the 1973 does not have a tale tell stream, one can be added, http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=222677
you motor has an exhaust relief outlet on the back of the leg, you should get droplets or a mist out of this, outlet. if you can hold your hand on top of the block for a good 3 count, the motor is not running hot. yes it has a thermostat, but you should get the mist in 10 seconds.

tevans720

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks! Damn I was worried there for a min. I never replaced a pump in a marine engine before. I'm gonna do it this year anyways. Well I will check for the mist then I'm sure I seen it when I first bought it but I will check again.

Thanks
Tyler

tevans720

Seaman Apprentice

Well I tested it out today and shes runnin very hot and dry as a bone. So I went up to Twin City outboard and they didn't have the entire water pump kit so I just got the impeller. That will work shouldn't it?

Thanks

RYANQ

Recruit

did you ever replace your water pump

83 EbKo

Cadet

tevans, if you want i could e-mail you the shop manual. its 157mb in adobe reader format

toystory_4wd

Cadet

Hey, y'all! Don't mean to jack somebody else's thread, but I just got a very similar motor myself, a '72 50hp, model #50272C, so I can't help but pay attention here. I don't have a lot of outboard experience, so I'd sure feel better if it had a tell-tale. I might take a whack at adding my own. Heck- If I'm drilling into a water jacket, there's nothing stopping me from adding a temp gauge, is there? We'll see. 83Ebko, could I take you up on that PDF offer, I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks, folks! Cheers- Chris

Cranetrain

Recruit
Hey 83 Ebko,

I was wondering if you would be able to forward me the shop manual for the mentioned 1973 50hp Johnson aswell.

tevans, if you want i could e-mail you the shop manual. its 157mb in adobe reader format