zinc chromate primer at local auto stores?

htuong95

Seaman
Anyone know where I can get zinc chromate primer? I checked couple of local auto store and none of the cans I saw has the words zinc chromate primer on it. Is it called something else?

I have some regular primer and was wondering after one coat of zinc chromate primer, can I spray regular primer over that? I just want to save some $$$. Zinc chromate primer is expensive. Thanks.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: zinc chromate primer at local auto stores?

Um, how do you know it's expensive if you cant find it?

htuong95

Seaman

Westmarine has it for $15.99 a can.

SKEETR

Chief Petty Officer

West Marine has $10 hose clamps too. Try just doing a web search you may have to order it and wait a bit.

RetNav

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I just bought two cans from NAPA auto parts store locally.
It is put out by TECnique, part nr 7222, price 9.99, net price 7.49 ea.

Hope this helps.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Zinc chromate along with other chromates and chromium VI compounds is carcinogenic so is not now as commonly used or available as it used to be.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

It's also called self etching primer. Any auto parts store that Duplicolor or Tempo auto paint should have a can...around here they sell it for about $5 a pop for the tall can. Make sure the color coat paint you want to use is compatible...it's best to stick with the same brand/chemistry from primer through clear coat.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

It's also called self etching primer
No an etch primer is something different. Possibly better in fact than zinc chromate for priming aluminum etc. It is very often a two pack and acid based product which may contain zinc tetroxychromate but can equally be chromate free.

htuong95

Seaman

Thanks for the help guys. I didn't see anything at Napa but I did find Duplicolor self etching primer at Autozone for $5.99 a can. It is has the same green color as zinc chromate. Hope this stuff works.

sheilaj

Recruit

Um, how do you know it's expensive if you cant find it?
Rustoleum has it only its called Self Etching Primer and can be purchased at Home Depot for $5.49/can

lindy46

Captain

Thanks for the help guys. I didn't see anything at Napa but I did find Duplicolor self etching primer at Autozone for $5.99 a can. It is has the same green color as zinc chromate. Hope this stuff works.

That's what I use - works fine.

relocyo

Chief Petty Officer

Damn and to think just last season I payed $15 for the damn zinc chromate, I think im gonna strip the whole thing and use the cheaper stuff now and repaint... Should be cheaper right :D :facepalm:

Edit: how did I not notice this thread is over 3 years old? Hehe oh well...

jmendoza

Petty Officer 1st Class

Careful here guys, read the labels:
Dupli-color, and other Zinc primers are now Zinc Oxide, not Zinc Chromate. To get Zinc Cromate, you can got to an aircraft supply as it's used on planes.

nwcove

Admiral

i just bought a can of duplicolor primer from canadian tire (a week ago, to restore a cowl for a 56 johnson).......its clearly labeled as "zinc chromate primer".

lmsmith

Seaman

I just bought two cans from NAPA auto parts store locally.
It is put out by TECnique, part nr 7222, price 9.99, net price 7.49 ea.

Hope this helps.

NAPA still has it. Part# is still good. Just picked up three cans.

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer

Be aware of the "No sand time" on any primer that you want to use on your outboard. Many rattle can primers (even self etching) have a "No sand time" of zero. Meaning they must be sanded before top coating. Do to the intricate nature of outboards and their parts this is often not practical or posible. Of course if you're doing your aluminum boat this is not an issue.

Cheers.................Todd

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Bombardier sells a high quality zinc primer. The older version was zinc chromate, their recent cans are labelled zinc phosphate. Probably an EPA thing. Part #777172. About $10 a can. Good stuff.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Any outboard dealership should stock the zinc chromate primer. I bought the stuff at Napa once and it didn't seam like as good of stuff as what the OEM stuff is.