20hp johnson need to identify year

Vanky

Cadet
Hello all,

I have read a bunch of posting regarding finding the year of the engine. I believe I took the right info down from a silver plug on the side of the engine.

I think it was a frost plug as mentioned.

Does the id #'s of c8054525 mean anything.

Thanks a ton everyone and thanks in advance

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 20hp johnson need to identify year

That is the serial number. We need the model number to ID. Usually on the port side stern bracket. Usually, that is.

Vanky

Cadet

Thank you for the feedback. I see where the model number plate used to be on the port side bracket. It is no longer there. I am not sure then how to identify the model number.

I am led to believe the year is a 1979 20hp. (not sure though)

I took a few other numbers down with hopes this would help me but I am not very knowledgeable in these matters.
(throttle handle - 14.1 kw I.S.O. Std. Power or 20hp @ 5000 Rpm
(On the engine cover - Seahorse Magflash CD)

Prop says 322011 1 - 9 1/4 x 11

This may not be useful but I am hoping it may lead me to the answer.

Thanks a ton and have a great week.

Dave

Vanky

Cadet

Another piece of info. the spline for the prop is 13 teeth. does this narrow anything down as to what model this motor may be... and help me confirm that it is in fact a 1979 20hp.

Sorry for the hassle just looking for some clarification.

When I look for props there is no compatible ones listed in the prop section. It has other horse power in this age range but no 20hp. I have the 9 1/4 by 11 and it needs to be fixed.

What I am looking forward to is pulling the kids up on water skis behind this boat 14 foot with a 20hp and taking them fishing.

Any suggestions on if this is the right set up? Thanks everyone.

Dave

Newfin

Cadet
Vanky - you probably weren't expecting a reply to a post from over 6 years ago but I couldn't resist. I own a 1979 20hp Johnson and the propellor on it is exactly as you describe..complete with the same part number. The reason you could not find a listing for the 20hp from that year is because the 20hp (in that series of outboards) was a uniquely Canadian offering. I have run into the exact same problem. Most of the sites that I have checked when I am enquiring about parts for this motor do not show a listing for it. As far as they are concerned there is no such thing as 1979 20hp Johnson. But you and I both know that they do exist since we have one. They must be American sites where this motor was only offered in the higher horsepowers. What you have is an outboard that was offered as a 25, 30 and 35hp version in the States. I guess OMC had decided to skip the 20hp model but the Canadian division wanted a 20 so they de-tuned the existing outboard and made it a 20hp. The model number on mine is 20CR79R. Hope you still have it and find this helpful. EDIT - Removed per Rule 8.

Thanks,

George

Last edited by a moderator:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I know I wasn't expecting a reply to a six year old topic. And the OP hasn't been here since. And no buying, selling, trading or bartering in the forums.