1995 Johnson 130 "eats" power packs?

DukesFin

Chief Petty Officer
When I picked this boat up, the previous owner gave me an extra power pack as he said, I'd need it eventually.

Last weekend, getting the boat running again, one of the motors (I've got twins), did, indeed need the replacement power pack. One of my buddies that was there said, "Yeah - those motors EAT power packs."

Do any of you have this feeling about these motors? If there is an issue with them eating power packs, what is the problem???

Seemed odd to me that two people eluded to the same issue. No biggie, but just curious if there might be something I can do to help the problem if there is one!

I think I will order another "spare" power pack though!

Thanks.

wavrider

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1995 Johnson 130 "eats" power packs?

Voltage on the kill wire will "eat" power packs.
Usually from chaffed or exposed wiring in the harness.

Disconnect the kill wire from the power pack, turn ingnition switch on, take voltage reading, if any movement of the meter then you have voltage on the kill wire and need to have further inspection to see where the voltage is coming from.

This is not the only thing than can "eat" a power pack but it is a place to start troubleshooting.

You can also test your rectifier to make sure it is in proper order.

DukesFin

Chief Petty Officer

Would needing ONE power pack in 2 years lead one to think there is a chaffed wire? I'd think it would burn up more than that. The boat was used quite a number of times (at least a dozen in an off-shore seas application) and only one power pack was replaced... I would think that if there were a problem with the rectifier or a chaffed wire, the problem would be more "frequent"...

Just wondering!

Thanks!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it would, could just be the salt environment, that eats them. also connecting batteries backwards can do damage, not only to the rectifer. also corroded connections.

DukesFin

Chief Petty Officer

I did notice that on the power pack I removed (the "bad" one), the gel (or whatever the material all of the wiring is encased in) was more mushy than the new one. Almost felt like jello compared to the new one.

That consistency made spaces where the wires would enter the "jello". I do know that salt air can find it's way into the smallest of crevices for sure!

Thanks guys!

reeldutch

Lieutenant

do you have a battery charging system on the boat that you plug in at the dock?

how do your zincs look like?

iwombat

Captain

A bad ground will also eat a power pack. It could be that your mounting point has an inherent weak ground connection. You can fix that by running an extra wire to an alternate ground point from the power-pack fastener. The mid 70s crossflows had a similar issue with the coil mount bracket.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

(MCD Powerpack Failures - 1973 +)
(Magneto Capacitance Discharge Systems)
(J. Reeves)

The usual cause of having those type powerpacks fail repeatedly is having a very small of voltage applied to the Black/Yellow wire at the pack. Test as follows.

Disconnect the Black/Yellow wire at the powerpack.

Insert either a ampere meter or a volt meter set to its lowest DC voltage reading between that Black Yellow wire and ground.

With the ignition key in the OFF position, observe the meter reading. Now turn the ignition key to the ON position and again observe the meter reading.

Any reading, movement of the meter needle, would indicate that battery voltage is being applied to that Black/Yellow wire. If a reading is present, remove the other end of that Black/Yellow from the raised terminal of the ignition switch.

If the reading ceases to exist when the Black/Yellow wire is removed from the ignition switch, replace the switch. If the reading continues to exist, there would be a short of some kind in either the engine or instrument wiring harness.... to determine which, simply unplug the large RED electrical plug at the engine which would eliminate the instrument cable.

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

hhmm kind of strange, but I had the almost identical Motor and replaced two in 18 months, the parts guy told me to get a non genuine one and I will be right, I got a replacement (aftermarket) and that same one is still on the Boat years later, so maybe someone could explain this?? my Parts guy said the original ones failed, and because you keep buying original ones, you keep getting the same fault, true, untrue?? who knows? but the non genuine was cheaper, so I doubt that he had anything to gain from selling me the cheaper one.