old pressure tank to newer tank conversion????

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: old pressure tank to newer tank conversion????

Check the Engine FAQs, jonoman. There is an excellent article there by tashasdaddy.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Man, yer fast JB..just going to say that..

CATransplant

Admiral

Lots of folks have done that conversion. The site you linked to shows a good way to do it on that model. Other models will require different techniques.

However, the dangers listed on that site are way exaggerated. Since rebuild kits for the two-line pressure tanks and o-ring seals are available for the connector fitting, there are thousands and thousands of vintage Johnsons and Evinrudes operating happily and safely with the old system.

So, I take it that you have one of these vintage outboards and tanks. How are they working? If they're working well, the tank is holding pressure, and the priming pump is working, just check your hoses for cracking (new ones are available). If your connector isn't leaking, then don't worry about it. You can replace the o-rings in it, though, if it's leaking or just for the heck of it.

If the tank is leaking air, you can buy a rebuild kit, or...you can do as that site suggests and switch. Note that it is not "Mukumi" as the writer on that site said. It's "Mikuni." There are other pulse operated fuel pumps also available that will work just as well, too. Depending on your outboard, there may be even an easier way to go, using an OMC pump.

But...if your system is working fine now, it will probably continue to work fine into the future. Heck, I have an old two-line tank that is well over 50 years old, has never been rebuilt, and is still in perfect condition. I'd use it in a minute, but I don't have a vintage OMC outboard any longer. I keep the tank because I'm sure I will have one at some point, and the tanks are expensive to buy.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I was just woundering if anyone has tried this conversion on the old evinrude. Converting it so that it can use a normal tank instead of pressurized tank. Found if on this site, http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repair.com/Johnson/Pressureized Fuel Tanks.htm if anyone has tried and knows anything about it, im curious about it.

Thanks, Jon.

That method only makes sense on the 5.5hp motors. There are lots of better ways to do it on other size motors.

jonoman69

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Its for a 7.5 evinrude. We bought the tank for 20 bucks a couple days ago, thats in decent shape, some of the seals around the handle leak a little bit, but it holds pressure, still trying to get the motor to run perfectly sound. I was jsut curious for if we ever wanted a bigger tank or needed to switch it for some reason, wouldnt hurt to know the how abouts.

davidf5252

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Lots of folks have done that conversion. The site you linked to shows a good way to do it on that model. Other models will require different techniques.

However, the dangers listed on that site are way exaggerated. Since rebuild kits for the two-line pressure tanks and o-ring seals are available for the connector fitting, there are thousands and thousands of vintage Johnsons and Evinrudes operating happily and safely with the old system.

So, I take it that you have one of these vintage outboards and tanks. How are they working? If they're working well, the tank is holding pressure, and the priming pump is working, just check your hoses for cracking (new ones are available). If your connector isn't leaking, then don't worry about it. You can replace the o-rings in it, though, if it's leaking or just for the heck of it.

If the tank is leaking air, you can buy a rebuild kit, or...you can do as that site suggests and switch. Note that it is not "Mukumi" as the writer on that site said. It's "Mikuni." There are other pulse operated fuel pumps also available that will work just as well, too. Depending on your outboard, there may be even an easier way to go, using an OMC pump.

But...if your system is working fine now, it will probably continue to work fine into the future. Heck, I have an old two-line tank that is well over 50 years old, has never been rebuilt, and is still in perfect condition. I'd use it in a minute, but I don't have a vintage OMC outboard any longer. I keep the tank because I'm sure I will have one at some point, and the tanks are expensive to buy.

$90 shipped to me!!!!! pa pa pa papleasssseeeeee i need one ASAP!! lol

oldjohn

Cadet

Check craigslist.springfield Springfield, Missouri. Guy in Rockaway Beach has 6-8 of the 6 gal pressure tanks for sale as well as an Evinrude 15 & 18 hp outboard

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

A decent usable pressure tank goes for between $50-$100. Of course, one can get lucky as you did. A decent usable single line tank can be had for much much less. Do not bother ruining a good pressure tank...sell it or trade it...you'll be money ahead and make another fellow boater very happy...and you'll be too!

You can post an add on craigslist and the deal will be done in less than a day if the add is written right!

Mas

Philip_G

Chief Petty Officer

A decent usable pressure tank goes for between $50-$100. Of course, one can get lucky as you did. A decent usable single line tank can be had for much much less. Do not bother ruining a good pressure tank...sell it or trade it...you'll be money ahead and make another fellow boater very happy...and you'll be too!

You can post an add on craigslist and the deal will be done in less than a day if the add is written right!

Mas

there's a really nice one on fleabay, was at $10 yesterday, I'm watching out of curiousity to see what it goes for (already have a decent one)

oldjohn

Cadet

How realistic or common are incidents of fires caused by pressure tanks? Years ago I had several motors with these tanks and never had a problem, in fact, never heard of it happening until recently in this forum:eek:

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I run the pressure tanks all the time (have a dozen or so) and have not had a problem. and I've never heard of a problem either. I think it's way over exaggerated.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Yea, I know its an old thread, but its going again so ......

If an old pressure tank does not have severe rust issues (thin walls) and is properly maintained, I think the safety issue is overblown too.

That said, I convert my non fuel pump equipped motors, just because I don't want to deal with pressure tanks. I don't want to have to find them, rebuild them, etc. I also want to be able to use tanks that are larger than 6 gallons, including installed tanks.

For me, its less a safety issue and more a convenience issue.

???