87 88 SPL (90 HP) Evinrude Trim Tilt Rewire issues.

pixelsnot

Cadet
THIS WAS INCORRECTLY POSTED ELSE WHERE. SORRY FOR DBL POST.

had no electricity to boat, motor, etc......pulled fuse block cover and saw the following.
http://pixelsnot.com/images/DSC01262.JPG

so, i bought a new solenoid, cleaned everything up, reattached it all as it had come off (and according to the handy picture inside the cover).....basically this is what is happening....the wiring from the tilt control runs into the fuse box, red wire runs to a ground, through a 30 amp fuse and to the solenoid, attached to the large upper post with the pos battery lead. Green wire from control runs to a connection with a green wire that leaves the fuse box and heads to the motor. blue wire from control leads to the solenoid (small post on right), larger blue wire attached to bottom large post on solenoid runs to motor. neg battery lead attaches to left small post, black ground runs to a point where it connects on a metal tab to the black wire running to the motor.....so blue, green red from tilt control lever to fuse box, black, green and blue run out to motor......sorry if this is super confusing....
the problem is, now i've got juice, radio on, engine starts, motor goes down but not up.....no sound at all when try to put the motor up.....i understand this is most likely a wiring problem but can't see what i've done wrong...this is what it looks like now
http://pixelsnot.com/images/DSC01271.JPG

i can post a zoomed in picture later.....there was 1 additional wire that i initially left unconnected because it led to a female end that had no male connector (everything worked when we purchased the boat so this doesn't need to be connected, i assume it was for the tach)....both wires were attached to the same screw next the the black wire ground (all the way on the top right in the original picture)
thanks for taking the time to read this and thanks in advance for any help!!

pixelsnot

Cadet
Re: 87 88 SPL (90 HP) Evinrude Trim Tilt Rewire issues.

Why would you only need ONE solenoid. Wouldn't you need one solenoid for up, and another for down?

Can the switch on the controls handle the amps for down, and you need the solenoid for up?

I gather that things have changed over the years, but we are looking for a direct replacement for the hill-billy wiring that existed when the boat was purchased.

THANKS A TONS GUYS/GALS. MAY THE FISHING GODS SMILE ON YOU THIS SUMMER. :)

Kent Myers

Cadet

i had the same trouble what i did was run a hot wire from the fuse to the motor then i ran a ground to my trim switch and then i ran the oter two wires from the trim motor to the black box and joined them to the other two wires from my switch that way the motor is hot all the time its just a matter of grounding it so i ground it with my switch hope you can understand what i mean

pixelsnot

Cadet

i had the same trouble what i did was run a hot wire from the fuse to the motor then i ran a ground to my trim switch and then i ran the oter two wires from the trim motor to the black box and joined them to the other two wires from my switch that way the motor is hot all the time its just a matter of grounding it so i ground it with my switch hope you can understand what i mean

I do understand, however most if not all of the people I find who do that end up burning up the trim/tilt switch or t/t switch as I will now call it.

Have you had that issue?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

To start, that is one of the most corroded junction boxes I have seen ;)

What colour wiring is coming off the trim motor? First need to make sure that the original setup has not been modified.

pixelsnot

Cadet

To start, that is one of the most corroded junction boxes I have seen ;)

What colour wiring is coming off the trim motor? First need to make sure that the original setup has not been modified.

We have blue green black from the motor.

I noticed that the previous owner has the DOWN (green) wire hard wired to the heavier gage, (green) wire from the motor. Is that common? I mean, can the switch on the controls alone handle that? Is it pulling less current when the motor is moving in the down position?

And dose it make a difference if the solenoid is rotated 90 degrees and wired as it is now? Would that have any effect on its switching capabilities?

Thanks!! Corrosion sucks

Last edited:

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Here is the correct wiring for that 3 wire, single solenoid setup. We will start with some electrical testing, and if all is well, there may be hydraulic issues.

Trim wiring.jpg

The following tests will be based on the previous diagram provided. I only typed out the UP CIRCUIT testing since that is where you are having difficulties, if you would like the troubleshooting for DOWN let me know.

First check the manual release valve, that it is closed and tight. Trim fully out, rest motor on locks and check oil resevoir level, top up, cycle 5 to 6 times, bleeding the air, then re fill.

1. Make sure battery is FULLY charged.

2. With a voltmeter, connect red lead to point E1 in junction box and meter black lead to point G. Meter should indicate battery voltage.

3. If no voltage is indicated, move meter red lead to point E2 on solenoid. If battery voltage is indicated check FUSE in junction box. If no voltage, check red and black leads to battery for poor connection or open circuit. Polish them up, no corrosion, dirt, rust, etc...

UP CIRCUIT

1. Connect voltmeter red lead to junction box at point E6 and meter black lead to ground at point G. Push trim switch up. Battery voltage should be indicated. If trim motor does not run, test motor.

2. If no voltage is indicated at point E6, move meter red lead to point E7 on solenoid. Push trim switch in up position. If voltage is indicated, blue lead is open between E6 and E7.

3. If no voltage is indicated at E7, move meter red lead to point E8. Push trim switch in up position. Battery voltage should be indicated. If trim motor does not run, connect meter red lead to point E2 on solenoid. If battery voltage id indicated, solenoid is DEFECTIVE and must be replaced.

4. If no voltage is indicated at point E8 on solenoid, move meter red lead to point E9 and meter black lead to ground at point G1 on trim gauge. Push trim switch in up position. Battery voltage should be indicated. If battery voltage is indicated, lead is open between E8 and E9.

5. If no voltage is indicated at E9, move meter red lead to point E5 on trim switch. If voltage is indicated, switch is defective and must be replaced.

6. If no voltage is indicated at E5, check continuity of ground lead between trim gauge G1 to G in junction box for open circuit.

7. If ground lead is good and no voltage at E5, move meter red lead to E1 in junction box. If voltage is indicated, lead is open between E5 and E1.

Let us know what you find.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Sorry the numbers on that were hard to read, this should be easier on the eyes.

19763wiretrimwiring.jpg

pixelsnot

Cadet

Chris,

I would call you a saint but I dont think that would do justice. This is in every way exactly what I need. I am pouring over that diagram, and will perform your check list as soon as I can. I will keep this thread updated with results.

Thanks so much!!!!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Not a problem at all, let us know how you do.

littletunny

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thats about as thorough as a response as you will find..:)

pixelsnot

Cadet

At the end it was the wrong solenoid. The foul one was from Autozone. The correct one was from OMC and P/N 581528.

Thanks for all the help!!