problems with a 135 hp 1976 evinrude fuel related

hypnotist

Cadet
Help asap i just rebuilt my carbs on the 135 hp evinrude. After sintallintg them I attempted to mcrank up and it seems that there was no fuel reaching the carbs. I primed the cylinders with mixture and it did fire and attempted to start. I checked all hoses and it seems that the fuel is not reaching the fuel pump. The bubble acts as if it is pumping but does not maintain the hard condition i have experienced in the past any suggestions ? I have had alot of help on this forum and i followes all instructions for the rebuild.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: problems with a 135 hp 1976 evinrude fuel related

When you squeeze the primer bulb you should be able to hear the fuel filling up the carbs. Are you sure all of the fuel lines are in the correct locations and everything is clamped? I would pull the main inlet line where the fuel comes into the cowling or to the fuel rail and pump the primer bulb to verify fuel is getting to the pumps.Its got to be sucking air or leaking somewhere..

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Make sure that the arrow on the primer bulb is pointing to the engine, not the tank.

The fuel pump and primer bulbs fill the float bowls at the bottom of the carburetors. The float valve stops them from providing more fuel until the engine has used what is there.

The engine gets fuel through the carburetors by the action of the pistons pulling the fuel through the carburetors. When the engine is cold, a much richer mixture is required to start the engine, so it is critical that the pistons pull more gas and less air. To do that, the chokes must be 100% totally closed to block the air.

On your setup, hold the choke switch on until the engine fires, and keep the warm up lever all the way up.

hypnotist

Cadet

ok ran out of energy and time today will follow all suggestions tomorrow. I pulled the carb silencer and squirted mixture into carbs and motor fired up till the prime was used up so im pretty sure it is from the fuel tank to the fuel pump. it is a new fuel tank and the fuel line is new too maybe it could be a faulty fuel line thanks for all the suggestions I will try all till I get the solution... People on here are really super .. will keep you posted

hypnotist

Cadet

yes I followed those instructions and I did connect a hose to the carbs and blew through them as instructed and yes the valves seated and cut out the air flow. and when i reversed them the air flow continued showing me that the valve was seating and working properly. I will reclamp all fuel hoses tomorrow and see what happens..
Thanks..

hypnotist

Cadet

ok got motor running .. valve at cowel was plugged up and not allowing gas to reach fuel pump...Thanks for all the good info and assistance.