Seloc v. Clymer? Which Better? (Big twins)

KirbyE

Seaman Apprentice
If I can only buy one of the shop manuals, which should it be? I have not been able to browse them anywhere, and I will be buying online. I have a 1959 Johnson 35hp and another "jalopy" which is close to a 1962 Evinrude 40hp (made from a collection of things). I'm Open to all advice, Thanks.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Seloc v. Clymer? Which Better? (Big twins)

i have the same manual, best there is for those motors. paid more for mine.
seloc is to keep your knees clean when change lower unit oil, clymer is to catch the oil drips, to keep them off the driveway.

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Seloc v. Clymer? Which Better? (Big twins)

I have that master manual, too. It's great for folks who might be working on anything old and OMC.

That said, if all the person is trying to do is change impellers, pull the flywheel, and generally tune a big twin up, the Seloc will do the trick. The master manual is confusing as the dickens, since it goes by the operation you're doing and you have to hunt down your model amongst all the instructions.

I sold my paper version of the master manual when I found a CD-based copy of it. What I'd do is print out just the pages that were applicable to the job at hand. Saved me a lot of work.

Still, the Seloc will do for normal operations.