1975 johnson 70 no spark

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchinjigs

Recruit
hello, i have a 1975 johnson 70 seahorse. it has ran fine all year, this past weekend i was idleing around and it died in gear. i have tested for spark and the motor cranks but has none. when cranking the motor i have no voltage coming in or out of the powerpack, which makes me believe i have no voltage coming from the ignition switch to the powerpack. am i correct in understanding i should have voltage on the black and yellow wire from the ignition switch. ive been reading some other posts and i believe i have a problem with the ignition switch or powerpack. i have been trying to troubleshoot using this black and yellow wire at the powerpack, when disconnected from the powerpack there is still no spark. any advise or suggestions are greatly appreciated. thanks in advance, russell

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1975 johnson 70 no spark

No voltage should ever reach the powerpack from the ignition switch and no voltage should ever reach the black and yellow wire because it will instantly destroy the powerpack.

Disconnect the black and yellow wire at the powerpack and see if the engine fires. If so, you have either a bad ignition switch or a short somewhere on the black and yellow "Kill" wire.

The ignition switch provides power to activate the solenoids for your choke and starter, nothing else to do with ignition. Power for the ignition comes from the magneto at the engine.

Attachments

• 1976 135 Ignition Wiring.jpg
    1976 135 Ignition Wiring.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 0

pitchinjigs

Recruit

i have disconnected the black and yellow wire, the motor still did not fire, what problem do i most likely have when the black and yellow wire is disconnected and it still doesnt fire? would that confirm its a faulty powerpack?

CARDNAL98

Cadet

I Had The Same Problume With My 1975 Outboard What I Found Was Wrong With Motor Not Getting Any Spark I Replased The Triger And That Fixed The Problume Do Not Waste Your Time Trying To Look For Prob Just Replase Triger And You Will Get Spark On Motor . What Gose Out On Triger The Sensors Go Bad So They Will Not Make Spark When Flywheel Turns . Look On Ebay For A Good Used Triger If They Do Not Have One Like Your Just Get One With The Same Sensors And Replace Them With Your Bad One Hope This Will Help It Fixed My Outboard Runs Great

Status
Not open for further replies.