1956 Johnson, whats my fuel/oil mixture?

rubio6

Cadet
Does anyone know what is my fuel/oil mixture for a 1956 Johnson 15hp outboard motor. Thanks,
Maurice Rubio
Kerman, CA.

jbjennings

Captain
Re: 1956 Johnson, whats my fuel/oil mixture?

It is 24:1 and use TCW-III oil.
Nice motor, I've got one too!:)

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Nice motor. I don't have one!

jbjennings

Captain

Correction!
I WISH I had one---mine's a '56 evinrude fastwin.:D
JBJ

rubio6

Cadet

Hey thanks alot guys, I actually picked up this motor along with its 12' aluminum boat and trailer for free. I put an add in on craigslist.com and under the wanted adds I just said that I wanted a free boat that I could take my kids out to the lake with. I actaully got two calls but one deal fell through and I scored on this one. I pulled the crank on the motor a few times and it has good compression, now I'll go in and check the plugs and wires and give it a shot. Thanks again,

Maurice Rubio
Kerman, CA

jbjennings

Captain

WOW!!!!!!
That's a fair deal, huh?
Let us know what happens....with just a little effort you'll LOVE that rig......You should really take your time on it and get it just right before the "NEW" wears off it. If you do, you can enjoy it for years to come. Be prepared to replace the coils as they are notorious for being bad if they're old. Also, the carb is simple to clean.. I can't even look at a carb on a car or truck without getting scared but these 50's outboard carbs are easy as pie. Also, you'll want a new water pump impeller for peace of mind at the very least. Last but just as important, make sure your lower unit has nice clean oil in it. If not, you'll have to reseal it but the folks here can walk you through it just as they did for me. I wish you luck and feel free to post a pic of your new rig.
Later,
JBJ

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Wow. A free motor, boat and trailer! Way to go, that's a great score!

rubio6

Cadet

Hey, thanks again guys for the help and encouragement. I will get a pic of it up on my profile asap.

Maurice Rubio
Kerman, CA

jbjennings

Captain

You have my permission to use it in your profile but I demand you post a larger pic just to look at!:D Use the "manage attachments" option at the bottom.
JBJ

rubio6

Cadet

Will do guys, give me a couple days.

Thanks again.

Maurice

mando81

Cadet

So the oil ratio is the same for a 1956 18 hp Johnson sea horse 24:1

jbjennings

Captain

So the oil ratio is the same for a 1956 18 hp Johnson sea horse 24:1

THere is no '56 johnson 18.....'56 was a 15hp. But yes, any of the 50's 18hp Johnsons/Evinrudes use 24:1.

mando81

Cadet

Your right it's a 57 Johnson 18 hp maybe you guys can help me I'm told I can change out the lower unit from a 56 10hp Johnson to my 18hp, this is the deal I'm pretty sure the lower unit is toast when I take it out even if I change the lower unit oil right before the trip by the time I hit the ramp there is milky white oil leaking out of it most likely just a seal but when I'm driving the boat slow it runs fine and when I try to open it up the motor revs very high as if it's coming out of gear could this be fixed I'm getting a good deal on two 10 1956 models one is a good runner and the other runs too but is mostly a parts motor will the lower units be compatible and help please

mando81

Cadet

My 18hp model number is FD-11
Not sure the model number on the 10 hp but I'm told it's a 1956