48 HP Evinrude issues

classicxj

Recruit
First of all I just want to say thanks.. I 've used alot of infomation from this forum over the last couple weeks and also sorry this is kinda long but I wanted to be detailed as possibly.

Model# E48ESLENB
Serial# G03001750

I just bought a 89 Sea Nymph witha 48 HP Evinrude on it. I got the boat about 2 weeks ago from a friend that bought a new boat. The engine ran fine the first time out with the exception that engine trim was sticky when triming it up. I changed out both trim relays and the problem went away. The boat then ran great for a week or so (I do alot of weekday fishing) until last Sunday. I was out on the lake, and the engine ran fine for the first hour.. then it started to kinda hesitate periodically while at mid throttle.. you could kinda feel the engine skipping a little and it didn't seem to have the power that it usually does. When I pulled the throttle back the engine just quit on me. After that we had a really hard time getting it started and ended up trolling in. I trying getting it to start in the driveway when I got home but the starter was giving me some issues.

So yesterday(04/26) I rebuild the starter with new brushes and springs and gave it a good cleaning. After that the starter worked fine. The engine didn't seem to want to start after that but after an hour or so I finally got it started and it ran fine in the driveway. This morning on the lake it fired up on the first turn of the key and idled fine.. just like it normally does. 3/4 of the way across the lake at a low idle (10MPH or less before 10 on Sundays) the engine started to hestitate again and once again completly died when I pulled the throttle back. After that the thing just wouldn't start again.. so again trolled in on the electric and headed home.

At home one again I couldn't get it to start.. decided to try a few things so I ran down to the marina. Found out the my engine is actaully a 1992 Evinrude 48HP and not a 89 or 90 like I was told. Then I relized the previous owner had put the wrong spark plugs in. So I bought new plugs, a new gas can, new fuel line and primer bulb and headed home stopping for some fresh gas. Installed the new parts and still couldn't get it to run. There is spark, seems to have fuel... and the compression is okay. The battery is really drained so I am going to call it a night and let it charge till tommorow morning. Any thoughts on what to try next. The engine acts like it wants to starts it even putter up a little bit now and then and kicks the starter gear down. It never runs for more than a couple seconds no matter what I do.

All the connections are clean and fuel is fresh mixed with Evinrude oil 50:1.

My next guess is to either replace the coil pack or rebuild the carb. A couple of times today I drained the carbs and the gas coming out of them seems clean. After draining the carbs the engine seemed like it wanted to start better than before... maybe the engine was just floaded.

Thanks in advance for any advice. This is my first boat and I really want to get it running again.

littletunny

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 48 HP Evinrude issues

I wouldn't mess with the coils packs. I have a 1991 48 special.

Your problem sounds like the quentessential carb gummed up.

Do a complete carb rebuilt on both carbs and you should see an improvement.

Dont just spray carb cleaner in the carbs. Break them down and let them soak. Do a search under carb rebuild. Plenty of info, also there is a sticky at the top of the forum for carb cleaning.

You have to clean the high and low speed jets. They have tiny holes and the tinest little thing will foul them up.

This work can be done in a few hours. The rebuild kits are about $20 bucks per carb.

The carbs have to be spotless on the 48 for it to run right.

classicxj

Recruit

Yeah I was kinda figuring the carbs needed a rebuild. But thanks for the infomation. I am going out tommorrow for find a service manual and order the carb rebuid kits.

I've read some of the threads about rebuiding carbs.. do I need any special tools for the jets or anything else on the 48 carbs

POOH'S HUNNY

Recruit

OK, first time replying to this forum but I found it looking for information about the 48hp powerhead... Currently, I pulled the P/Head broke it down, pistons - the block if you want to call it that. Crank shaft with it's bearings..
etc, etc, etc,,,,,
What I would like to say it that this engine is extremely simple.... You have the carbs to add fuel to the air which go right into the intake manifold which is on one side with the exhaust on the other... Since it's a 2 stroke the manifold is split for intake and split for exhaust.. Next you have two pistons, spark plugs.. This sounds similar to my problem.... When you start it cold - no problem. Run for a period of time and then BINGO - it runs bad... My engine would suck water in once the thermostat opened and into the cylinder but not until BINGO... INTAKE MANIFOLD GASKET BLEW.... lost suction into lower carb as i could put my hand over the intake hole and it would run... Have to go for now, wife is waiting on me..

hooterville

Seaman

i'd say do a carb rebuild kit 1st......mine was doing same similar thing this spring. My engine had been setting a few years and ran great the 1st trip out then 2nd trip it did same thing your describing.Run seafoam through it like another thread suggests.