68 Evinrude No Spark From Distributor

Mitytim

Cadet
Is there anyway to test the distributor and rotor to find out if they are too worn? I have good spark up to the wire going into the distributor, but nothing going out to the plugs. I have cleaned all the brass areas and checked for cracks etc. but is there any other test that I can do to see if it is making contact. May be orginal, and the brass on the rotor seems quite worn. Any ideas? Probably can't get this anymore???

Posted this before but no one answered. PLEASE help.....

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 68 Evinrude No Spark From Distributor

It does not "make contact" It just comes close. The spark has to jump the gap, then go on through the associated wire to the plug and jump that gap too. Check all your wires for continuity. Look for cracks or carbon tracks. When all else fails, put on a new one. You are right, they are hard to find and expensive.

Mitytim

Cadet

Thanks for your reply. I will check again. Does this motor have any kind of a kill switch that might be the culprit that I have read about? The ony wires that I have are the yellow stator wires and the wires coming from the points that I can see. Thanks for your help!

F_R

Supreme Mariner

No kill switch unless somebody has added one. Make sure you have 12 volts input to the amplifier with the key on. (red wire) There may be a corrosion problem at the plastic plug in (main cable and others)