1984 johnson seized

critter34

Petty Officer 3rd Class
my motor quit all of a sudden and then wouldnt turn over with starter so i grabbed flywheel and it turns hard i also hear squeeking about mid section could something have set up in water pump? dont know where to start

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1984 johnson seized

Disconnect the lower unit and then see if it will turn.

critter34

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thought about that is there anything in mid section that could make the motor bind?and is it hard to disassemble?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Before you start taking things apart you might check the battery for full charge and clean all fo the connections on the cables. Try it. Next take the plugs out and turn the flywheel by hand. If it is still bound up then drop the lower unit.

With the plugs and lower unit on the flywheel should be hard to turn - you are working against compression and the forct of the water pump - which can by the way make some sound as the impeller turns.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Is there evidence of overheating? Was it hot and smoking when it quit? Whether yes or no, it's a moot point. Sounds like a blown powerhead. But yes, make sure by removing the lower unit. Or at the very least, check the oil in it. There is nothing in the midsection to squeek. Water pumps cannot sieze like that. But if the pump fails and the powerhead cooks, yes.

critter34

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i turned it with plugs out still way to hard no signs of overheating marina installed carb kits 1hour before this happened they checked compression and all three had 120 said i had a dirty carb because one cyl wasnt firing cost me almost 300.00 my hands were tied now its set up going out in morning an drop lower unit by the way it is full of oil checked it 4 times thanks for the input ill check back with results

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Dirty carbs will cause their associated cylinder to run lean. Running lean causes pre-ignition, high cylinder temperatures, broken rings, and a bunch of other problems. In addition, a very dirty carburetor causes a serious lack of fuel in it's associated cylinder, which means no fuel = no oil

It is also possible that the carburetors were not the problem at all. Perhaps there was water getting into a cylinder, causing it to not fire. Water in there is super destructive.

I don't know what is wrong with your motor, but these are some things to consider.

critter34

Petty Officer 3rd Class

dropped lower unit today motor turns free thank the good lord but the lower unit is set up bad the impellar is missing fins i cant seem to get any farther than the pump housing the cover the shaft goes thru wont pop off am i missing something ?you guys are great and thanks for the help any more input would be appreciated

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Are you referring to the impeller housing not being able to get off?

Once you determine where the problem(s) lie, you may want to look into getting a complete lu. Check ebay, it may be cheaper.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

If you have plenty of gear oil and it shifts O.K. then the point of friction would seem to be in the water pump itself. I don't know the 70 but if it is like most OMCs the water pump is attached to the lower unit with four bolts. With them off you need to pry the cover off to get to the impeller. I suspect that you are trying to get both the cover and the impeller off at the same time. Try getting the cover off first and then go for the impeller as it may be stuck - even to the point that you may have to cut it off. Be careful using force and wedges so as not to ding up the machined surfaces.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

"dropped lower unit today motor turns free thank the good lord but the lower unit is set up bad the impellar is missing fins i cant seem to get any farther than the pump housing the cover the shaft goes thru wont pop off....."

How can you see that the impeller is missing fins with the cover on?

critter34

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ii removed the pump its the plate under the pump housing i cant get off the shaft does not turn at all i nedd to find the bearing thats set up

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

If you are speaking of the flat plate immediately under the impeller, and if the impeller is removed, a little heat and prying on the plate should break whatever sealant was used.

Are you sure that you have gear oil in the gearcase?

critter34

Petty Officer 3rd Class

when the motor set up in august i drained the gear case to see if there was any metal no sign but clear oil.Previuos year i drained it sat all winter and in spring i put fresh oil in almost 2 tubes i purchased at marina i pulled top plug and shot oil in from the bottom until it ran out of the top ill agree what a nightmare i know i should have put oil back in but didnt rellize it at the time i dont think ii did any damage because it worked up until august i need to get it a part now im thinking a tooth brokke off the gear but there is no evidance of metal ill let you know .thats the plate im talking about what a son of a gun, are thes usually put together with sealant ?