1952 Johnson TN-28 5hp

Hamrod

Recruit
I recently purchased an old Johnson Seahorse (5hp TN-28). After rebuilding a few times I managed to get it running, but it will only run at full boar throttle. It stalls out at about 3/4 throttle every time. Anybody got any suggestions? There are 2 gas output from the carb, one for fine and one for coarse idle.

wbeaton

Commander
Re: 1952 Johnson TN-28 5hp

Its a 5 hp...why bother going less than wide open? lol - just kidding. That motor has a different carb than the one in maxrules, but the principles are the same. I've never had the opportunity to work on one so I'm not much help. However, I do happen to have the parts manual. PM me your email and I'm send you a copy.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The slow speed needle on the front of the crankcase should be open about 5/8-3/4 turn. How is the check valve (big hex plug on the bottom)? Is it free to blow through one way only?

I just got one of those motors on Saturday. Have to do some remembering on that stuff myself. It's been awhile. Like 30 years.

Hamrod

Recruit

Thanks Ereryone.
I was working on the carb and the cork float fell apart. any idea were I can find a replacement?

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Then there might be some cork in the low speed side of the fuel system? I have 3 of those engines but have never tried to get one going yet.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The guys are using a Mercury float (Sierra 18-7208) by drilling the center out for the float pin. You may also have to work on the size. You are on your own, I don't have the details. But I probably will soon, I have a TN to work on.

Hamrod

Recruit

Thanks for the info. I have ordered a rebuilt card from American Outbord. I hope this solves my problems. Any ideas were I can get parts in Canada?

John

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Mercury parts? No idea. OMC parts at a dealer. There's one here in Ottawa.

wbeaton

Commander

You can order Mercury parts directly from Mercury online and have them sent to you or pick them up at your local marina. Any marina that sells OMC parts will probably sell Merc.

jbknows

Cadet

Hi there. I also have a TN-28 motor I just got and was wondering what it would take to get a copy of that parts manual...

My email address is jbknows@charter.net if your able to help. I have to do some carb work and tune up with new coils and points and condensors. FUN FUN.

Thanks much,
Jerry B

Its a 5 hp...why bother going less than wide open? lol - just kidding. That motor has a different carb than the one in maxrules, but the principles are the same. I've never had the opportunity to work on one so I'm not much help. However, I do happen to have the parts manual. PM me your email and I'm send you a copy.

jbknows

Cadet

I ordered this float the other day for my TN-28. Do you know if I will still use the clip and screw that attached to the cork?
Thanks in advance.

Jerry

The guys are using a Mercury float (Sierra 18-7208) by drilling the center out for the float pin. You may also have to work on the size. You are on your own, I don't have the details. But I probably will soon, I have a TN to work on.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Jerry we don't like bringing up old threads here. Start a new thread yourself and we will be able to help.

Cheers