Evinrude Zephyr?

bjarnold1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm looking at buying a couple of old motors one is an Evinrude Zephyr and the other is an Evinrude from the early 40's that has green stickers with Evinrude lettering in red and it looks identical to the Zephyr but it's a two cylinder. What model could it be or did Evinrude ever produce a 2 cylinder Zephyr early on?

Attachments

• evinrudesize.jpg
    evinrudesize.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 0

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: Evinrude Zephyr?

Yep, that's a Zephyr, four banger 5-6 hp, and what looks like a Sportwin, 2 cylinder 3 hp. Get 'em both. Post the numbers on the Sportwin and we can date it for you.

CATransplant

Admiral

I keep thinking about buying a Zephyr, myself. There's something appealing to having the smallest production four cylinder engine ever made hanging off the transom of my boat.

But, then, I always seem to think better of the idea. It's awfully nice to have a 1990's vintage Johnson 6 back there, complete with a shifter and all.

Still...

bjarnold1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I looked up some old Evinrude advertisements and the motor on the left is a 1946 Lightfour 10hp. I've never even heard of one, are they rare?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

The Lightfours aren't all that rare. We have a couple of them. One was a showroom model that has never been run - it fell over back in the late 1940s and threw a big dent into the tank and was never sold...
- Scott

bjarnold1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Are the early Zephyr's rare or common motors?. And did they come with built on starters?

Mr.Stuart

Senior Chief Petty Officer

They made the Zephyr from 1940 to 1949, it was a 5.4 horse power 4 cylinder, from what I understand, it's one of the smoothest running motors ever built, they are pretty common, and from what I've read on them, collectors either love them or hate them, I think it boils down to personal preference, I have one, I tore it down, was pretty easy to get apart, I ordered all the books I could find on it, Mag rebuilding book, carb rebuilding book, owners manual, maintenance manual, parts book, I've been thinking of starting a thread on it when I come to the point of rebuilding it, I'm excited to have mine but it is missing a few parts, there’s not a lot in the way of new old stock parts for it, but there's so many of them out there that finding used parts for it isn't all that difficult, at least from the looking I've been doing that's what I'm finding.

From what I can tell, the later model ones had a recoil starter, the early ones didn't. Or maybe the recoil was an option?

The one in your picture looks like it's an earlier one, 40 to 45 or so, it looks like it has the thinner aluminum tank on it, they came out with a heavy gauge darn near bullet proof tank for it in about 46, it looks like the one in the picture is earlier then that.

Just my opinion, Stuart

Mr.Stuart

Senior Chief Petty Officer

from looking at those pictures, the motor on the right looks like a zephyr, and the one on the left looks like a big 4? wern't the big 4's close to 10 horse or something?

Stevum

Seaman Apprentice

They made the Zephyr from 1940 to 1949, it was a 5.4 horse power 4 cylinder, from what I understand, it's one of the smoothest running motors ever built, they are pretty common, and from what I've read on them, collectors either love them or hate them, I think it boils down to personal preference, I have one, I tore it down, was pretty easy to get apart, I ordered all the books I could find on it, Mag rebuilding book, carb rebuilding book, owners manual, maintenance manual, parts book, I've been thinking of starting a thread on it when I come to the point of rebuilding it, I'm excited to have mine but it is missing a few parts, there’s not a lot in the way of new old stock parts for it, but there's so many of them out there that finding used parts for it isn't all that difficult, at least from the looking I've been doing that's what I'm finding.

From what I can tell, the later model ones had a recoil starter, the early ones didn't. Or maybe the recoil was an option?

The one in your picture looks like it's an earlier one, 40 to 45 or so, it looks like it has the thinner aluminum tank on it, they came out with a heavy gauge darn near bullet proof tank for it in about 46, it looks like the one in the picture is earlier then that.

Just my opinion, Stuart

Mr.Stuart,
Do you happen to have a source for an exploded view of the Zephyr carb? I've got one that I took apart for cleaning & took some pix but with all the little parts I might need some help getting her back together properly. Thanks for your time!

nwcove

Admiral

6 year old thread....and mr stuart hasnt posted in 4 years.