1999 15hp 4 stroke Evinrude fuel problem

billywilly

Recruit
If anyone could help I would be grateful forever! I have a 1999 15hp Evinrude four stroke E15R4EEB. The motor starts ok and Idles ok but when you crack the throttle it falls on its face and backfires out the carburetor. Immediately I though accelerator pump. You can look down the throat and see it is not squirting good especially at 0 to ? turn of the throttle and strangely even less when it is running. It is not an electric start so priming is one full twist of the throttle. And when you do that you can see it spray nicely. I have replaced everything you can think of down to the carb. Bowl because I thought the check valves might be the last resort. Carb. Is very clean through all circuits and is getting enough fuel with a hard primer bulb. I guess theres no pilot jet in this carb? Any ideas, I am banging my head off the wall! Thanks

billywilly

Recruit
Re: 1999 15hp 4 stroke Evinrude fuel problem

Now a new problem. I took it out on the river yesterday and was running it full throttle for about 5 Minutes when it started to die. I got it started again after several pulls then it would hardly run. I limped it back to the ramp at no more than ? throttle. Im thinking maybe a stator????????

Koosma

Recruit

I feel for you. It seems I have a very simular problem. I hope to find the solution and will let you know what I learn.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Not much experience on 4 strokes but a couple of thoughts, when you had the carb apart did you check the condition of the high speed jet? Does the primer bulb suck flat when problem happens?

You might try squirting some carb cleaner in the carb when problem happens and see if engine picks up. You might also try squirting carb cleaner around base of carb and intake gaskets to check for a vacume leak.

Koosma

Recruit

Sorry for the late reply, I found out it was the coil pack. The next summer my motor would not even start. I read somewhere to freeze the suspected electrical component and then try it out. Well, as I was not getting a consistent spark, I pulled the coil pack off and placed it into the freezer over night. the next day in the morning I put it back on and she ran perfect, how ever the instant the motor started to get warm, it started missing and back firing and eventually would no longer run. I had replaced the $400 or so part and have had two summers problem free!

AlTn

Commander

thanks for posting back..someone will benefit down the line