Pinion starter gear for 9.5 Evinrude

MN_fisherman

Cadet
Does anyone have any tricks for improving the function of the pinion gear on these motors. In order for the nylon pinion to rise up and engage the flywheel you have to really jerk on the starter rope which sort of bothers me since I prefer to pull the rope slowly until I feel the recoil engage then let 'er buck. Under the pinion there is a spring which I assume has something to do with the function of the pinion. The teeth are on the pinion are worn but there are no other noticeable cracks or defects. What I'm wondering is if anyone here knows how to make this set up work better. Thanks in advance.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Pinion starter gear for 9.5 Evinrude

The spring that you speak of should be clamped around and into the groove that you'll see under the bendix (pinion) gear (part of the bendix gear). This creates a slight friction upon the gear that causes it to rise when rotated.

MN_fisherman

Cadet

Thanks Joe I suspected that spring served a purpose, right now its basically just sitting freely under the bendix. I'll see if I can figure out how to clamp the spring into place under the bendix like you describe. I recall the spring is spit at the wide end (the part that goes under the gear). I can imagine how this could create enough friction to ride up and engage the flywheel.

MN_fisherman

Cadet

Thanks again Joe, did what you said and she works like a charm!