Stiff throttle - How do you disassemble an OMC single lever remote control?

littletunny

Petty Officer 3rd Class
1991 Evinrude 48 side mount throttle lever.

My throttle lever is stiff. I want to take the remote control apart and relube everything. I took the 2 philip screws off on the port side but cant seem to get the unit apart. It comes in 2 pieces and joins in the middle.

Are there other screws or things I need to do to open it up?

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Stiff throttle - How do you disassemble an OMC single lever remote control?

not too sure about your exact control, but most had 3 screws and the lever needs to be off as well, as the bolt that holds it in, also goes holds the case together.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Remove it from the boat and remove the screws that hold the halves together. Also remove the screw that holds the handle on. It may be Allen or Torx head. Loosen the handle screw a turn or two, then give it a light whack with a hammer and punch..that will knock the handle off the shaft--then take the screw on out.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Remove from the boat first. Are there not 3 phillips screws holding the face?

littletunny

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I cant remove the entire unit from the boat because the mounting screws are under the casing.

I only have 2 screws on the port side and one screw on the starboard side.

I guess what yall are saying is the key is removing the allen screw that goes through the handle.

IMG_5394.jpg

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Correct

Jacob645

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just wondering... Does this remote have the friction adjustment screw? The one on mine is just under the key.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I cant remove the entire unit from the boat because the mounting screws are under the casing.

I only have 2 screws on the port side and one screw on the starboard side.

I guess what yall are saying is the key is removing the allen screw that goes through the handle.

IMG_5394.jpg

You have me confused (which is not difficult). The two phillips screws in the picture are what holds it to the boat. They should have nuts behind the fiberglass panel. In your first post, you said that you removed them. Then you say that you can't remove them because you can't get at them.

All I can say is that somebody got behind the panel to install the nuts when they bolted it to the boat, assuming they are not just woodscrews. In order to get the control apart, you have to access the 3 screws on the backside, plus the handle screw, which means that it has to come off the boat first.

scoutdriver

Recruit

hey guys. im new to the forum and am having a really tough time getting the assembly back together. where exactly is the screw that holds the throttle level to the casing?