88 HP Evinrude SPL questions

tomandwendy

Seaman Apprentice
I was wondering if anyone knew if this engine had a trim switch located on the engine or the back of the boat?? I have not been able to see one because I do quite a bit of fishing alone and getting the engine up and down with the metal engine holder is quite a task. Do I need to install a switch?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 88 HP Evinrude SPL questions

it should have a switch on the remote control handle. if it has trim and tilt. you can add a switch at the stern, if the motor has trim and tilt. trim and tilt was an option on that motor.

tomandwendy

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the response, but I am new to boating and this boat, but I am not able to locate the romote tilt switch........it is a trim and tilt engine though....but only way to operate is from my throttle

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

from the throttle/shift handle at the remote control, correct. that is all they came with. not one on the motor, or rear of the boat. you can add a switch to the rear of the boat. there is a special way of wiring it so both switches work. which i am not familiar with.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

If your motor has TnT what is the "metal engine holder" you refer to? On a motor with trim & tilt, tilting it manually is - as you mention - quite a task. Even with the manual release screw open.

If it has TnT there should be a cover over a hole for the switch on the lower motor cover (pan the hood sits on), dependoing on what year it is. If not, you can simply drill a hole. There is a switch kit you can get and it's a real simple plug & play deal. No big deal at all really.

Bushleaguer

Seaman

My '97 115 SPL has a switch on the throttle, and one on the starboard side of the engine itself, near where the throttle cables enter the motor. It is a factory switch- it came that way when I bought it.

black pearl

Recruit

my 96 88spl has tilt trim switch on controls and on motor starboard side below cowling