1950's Evinrude 15HP "Lighting Power"

wiseguy55

Cadet
Hello I'm new to iboats and need a little help. I purchase a used boat with a 1950s Evinrude 15HP Lighting Power outboard on it. They guy who I bought the boat from said that he has not used it in about 2 years and was sitting in his garage. My problem is whe I start the engine it runs for about 1 minute before turning off on its own. It has the old style pressure fuel tank with dual fuel line for air and fuel. My question is, what might me be the problem? Do you think I need a new tank? Any trouble shooting suggestions that might point me in the right direction? I dont have the owners manual for the outboard, but I'm almost certain that the reason why it wont stay on is because of lack of fuel being pumped into the engine. I also have manually primmed the bulb on the fuel line while running and I get it to run for a long time, so I'm thinking there is a problem with the tank. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Or would anyone like to come and take a closer look personally.:rolleyes:

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: 1950's Evinrude 15HP "Lighting Power"

If you have a two-line pressure tank, there's no need for a bulb in the fuel line. That leads me to think that you have a modern tank. Your engine simply will not run with that tank, since there is no fuel pump.

The pressure tanks have a button on the tank itself that pre-pressurizes the tank. Once the engine starts it automatically keeps the pressure in the tank through the second line.

Your engine can, I believe, be converted to a single line tank, but you have to install a fuel pump. Or, you can find a working pressure tank, or rebuild one.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

What CAT said is correct. Is it a button on the tank or a bulb on the fuel line? Also, what model # is the engine? It will be located on the transom mount. Did you do a compression test also to get a baseline, it's always good to know.

Also, if it s a dual line, make sure the cap is tight as if not and air escapes it will run for about a minute until the bowl empties. Could be the same minute...!

wiseguy55

Cadet

CAT,

I think that your right! The tank does look rather new and does not have a button on it like you mentioned, but does have the bulb in the fuel line for priming the engine. What I dont understand is why are the connections from the fuel line and the connection on the outboard correct then? Do you think the person that purchased this tank though that this wold work? I will take some pictures later today and post up for a better idea. I really, really appreciate all your help.:)

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

But you said it was a dual line hose? Huh? Is the bulb on one of the 2 lines? That's weird. We definitely need photos. If so then the engine should run forever as long as you manually pump the bulb and supply fuel.

It's possible to change the connector on the engine to a single line connector as this is done when it is converted to a single line tank WITH a fuel pump.

Take the cover off. Where do the lines go? If it's a dual, 1 should go to the intake manifold and the other to the carb. And there might be a fuel filter in there also. If it's a single then the one line should go to a pump and then to the carb.

If there's a fuel pump added you will know as it will look outa place.

wiseguy55

Cadet

Here is the picture of the gas tank that was connected to the engine. As you can see there is a bulb on the fuel line.
gastank007.jpg

I also have the pressure tank that you guys mentioned, but I never noticed the difference between the two. They guy who I purchased the boat said thats "its an old tank" so I figured the new one was good. Here is the original pressure tank.
gastank006.jpg

Here are some pics of the engine. Also I took off the fuel line connector back off of the modern tank and installed it back on the original pressure tank and guess what? The engine runs for about a minute and then turns off! Same problem. What do you think is the problem?
gastank004.jpg

Maybe it has something to do with the settings on the knobs to the carb?
gastank005.jpg

gastank003.jpg

gastank002.jpg

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

99% dirty carb,

(Carburetor Adjustments - Two Adjustable N/Vs)
(J. Reeves)

Initial settings are: Bottom high speed = seat gently, then open 1 turn out. Top slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Setting the high and low needle valves properly:

NOTE: For engines that DO NOT have a shift selection, obviously there is no NEUTRAL position. Simply lower the rpms to the lowest setting to obtain the low speed needle va /lve adjustment.

(High Speed) Start engine (it will run pretty rough), shift into forward gear, take up to full throttle. In segments of 1/8 turn, wating for the engine to respond between turns, start turning in the bottom high speed needle valve. You'll reach a point whereas the engine will either start to die out or spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the needle valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest setting.

(Low Speed) Slow the engine down to where it just stays running. Shift into neutral. Again in segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the top needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running. Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back. Again, at that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

When you have finished the above adjustments, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

jbjennings

Captain

If you're interested, you can still get a true two-line hose and a pressure tank rebuild kit, decals, paint, etc. for that motor. You could definitely stand a carb kit (MAKE SURE YOU GET A FLOAT TOO), and some correct fuel hose clamps or marine grade hose ties. I'd rebiuld the pressure tank (about 25 bucks) if it's not too rusty inside. That's a really nice and smooth running motor when it's tuned right. That's an interesting fuel pump rig on your modern tank. I've never seen it done that way but if it works, it works.:)
JBJ

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

OMG. Check out that fuel pump on the fuel tank! Has anyone ever seen anything like that before? That's a cool idea! And they used a Mikuna pump!

But only one of those tanks should work. Correct me if I'm wrong but the original tank needed/got positive pulses only and the Mikuna pump needs positive and negative pulses to make the diaphram pump, right? So only one should work I believe. Can someone correct me on that if it's wrong as I've never installed a Mikuna pump.

BTW wiseguy, where'd you get the name 'Lightening Power" from? As it looks like an Aquasonic. And btw, did you get the model # off the transom mount? I see the plate there but cant read it.

Also, did they include the tiller for the engine?

Also the engine looks pretty clean inside which is good and the exhaust port cover looks like nice Johnson green. I wonder what happened to the original. Oh well, it's only been about 50 years... even the pressure tank (original) looks in ok shape. And btw, the #'s on the carb settings are relative #'s only. It does not matter where they are numerically. Follow TD's initial carb settings setup.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Another thing to try just to confirm that it is indeed a fuel supply issue is to spray in some 24:1 premix in the air intake before it stalls and see if it keeps running... It should as pumping it kept it running also you said.

wiseguy55

Cadet

OMG. Check out that fuel pump on the fuel tank! Has anyone ever seen anything like that before? That's a cool idea! And they used a Mikuna pump!

But only one of those tanks should work. Correct me if I'm wrong but the original tank needed/got positive pulses only and the Mikuna pump needs positive and negative pulses to make the diaphram pump, right? So only one should work I believe. Can someone correct me on that if it's wrong as I've never installed a Mikuna pump.

BTW wiseguy, where'd you get the name 'Lightening Power" from? As it looks like an Aquasonic. And btw, did you get the model # off the transom mount? I see the plate there but cant read it.

Also, did they include the tiller for the engine?

Also the engine looks pretty clean inside which is good and the exhaust port cover looks like nice Johnson green. I wonder what happened to the original. Oh well, it's only been about 50 years... even the pressure tank (original) looks in ok shape. And btw, the #'s on the carb settings are relative #'s only. It does not matter where they are numerically. Follow TD's initial carb settings setup.

I meant to say "whispering power" it says it on the side of the engine, but it's kinda worn out. I'll try and clean the carb and see if that works, should I install a carb kit? and if so, can I get it here on iboats? Also where can I get the kit for rebuilding the pressure tank? I'll have to order there parts and try to get it running. The engine does look in good shape and I hope I can do all the work myself.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Try vintageoutboard.com

And I'd try the carb first, one of those tanks should work. It just depends on which one it's set up for.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The sintered fuel filter on the bottom of the carburetor may be clogged. They are notorious for that. You usually can't tell by looking at it and they are nearly impossible to clean. See if it will run by removing the filter.

wbeaton

Commander

That is a 1955 Evinrude Super Fastwin 15 hp. Neat idea with the inline fuel pump, but I doubt it will run like that. Otherwise, that's how everyone would convert to the fuel pump. I'd still be interested to know for sure, though. At least you have most of the parts to convert it properly. However, if the original pressure tank is still ok I'd just use it..

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I would think it could run if it got the pulses down the pulse line (but is the pulse line too long?) And as I said, which way is it hooked up? Only one tank should work.

And FR, I've never had one of those filters clog on me. If it was clogged wouldn't it not run at all? Seems weird it would run for a minute and then stop.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Couple of things to check.

First - is your cap tight on the pressure tank? Needs to be so that the motor can build up pressure in the tank.

Second - seeing the fuel pump inline with the plastic tank makes me think that maybe the motor has been modified to allow the pressure line to pulse. Normally, the pressure line has a small flapper valve under the intake manifold, where the pressure line feeds from, to make the air pulse a one-way affair. To feed a fuel pump you need two-way pulses to operate the diaphram. I would check under the intake manifold to make sure the valve is in place. It'll have two wings, each one covering a hole about 1/4 inch in diameter....
- Scott

wiseguy55

Cadet

Thanks for identifiying the engine!

The fuel and air hose are about 3 ft. long at the most. I'll definitely clean the carb and place a new carb kit if I can find one. The fuel filter that you guys mentioned is it that glass part under the carb? It does seem to have some kind of small debrees in there.

Chinewalker: I will check for the valve your talking about under the intake manifold, and the cap to the gas tank is on tight. It says on the sticker on the engine cover to: "Connect fuel hose, press the button on the gas tank until it holds your thum pressure, pull the choke out for cold engine and once started press it in" I do all these things and it does run but then turns off after a minute.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

And if you keep pumping the button it will keep running? As that button is just a primer pump to fill the carb up until the air pressure can push the fuel to the carb.

wiseguy55

Cadet

99% dirty carb,

(Carburetor Adjustments - Two Adjustable N/Vs)
(J. Reeves)

Initial settings are: Bottom high speed = seat gently, then open 1 turn out. Top slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Setting the high and low needle valves properly:

NOTE: For engines that DO NOT have a shift selection, obviously there is no NEUTRAL position. Simply lower the rpms to the lowest setting to obtain the low speed needle va /lve adjustment.

(High Speed) Start engine (it will run pretty rough), shift into forward gear, take up to full throttle. In segments of 1/8 turn, wating for the engine to respond between turns, start turning in the bottom high speed needle valve. You'll reach a point whereas the engine will either start to die out or spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the needle valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest setting.

(Low Speed) Slow the engine down to where it just stays running. Shift into neutral. Again in segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the top needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running. Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back. Again, at that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

When you have finished the above adjustments, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

I have another question. When doing the carb settings for the low & high speed knobs how do I know what starting point to turn from? In other words are the instructions for the "initial setup" from where the knobs are tightend down to where they dont turn anymore and then turn out 1 full turn for High speed and 1 1/2 truns for low speed? Also all this is done at home and not on the water correct? When I put it in forward gear it will splash water all over the place! Can the setting all be done in neutral?

CATransplant

Admiral

Hold on a minute, here, everyone. The OP said that the engine would continue to run as long as he squeezed the bulb on that strange tank. That would seem to indicate to me that his carb is at least functional.

The problem here seems to be fuel delivery, clearly.

While that external fuel pump is a wierd setup, to be sure, if the engine is delivering both in and out pulses, it ought to work. And...if it is doing that, the old two-line tank wouldn't work.

What I'd do here is disconnect the pressure line at the fuel pump, and keep the fuel line connected. Pump the bulb to deliver a float bowl of fuel to the engine, then run it. At the tank end of the pressure hose, check to see what pulses are arriving. A flap of paper should be enough to tell if both pulses are there. If they are, then it's time to look at the pump. If only the positive pulse is there, then the thing's not set up right at the engine.

I suspect that the previous owner was trying this system out, found it did not work, and sold the engine. I'm betting that the old pressure tank isn't holding pressure any longer and needs to be rebuilt.

OTOH, the OP could alter the engine to send both pulses and use this oddball setup OK, if it's only sending pressure pulses and not the suction pulses.

Odd dilemma, but I sure don't want the OP to rebuild the carburetor, then still find the thing not working. A little more investigation is in order.