6hp Fisherman, where's the serial?

Geoff_Jubb

Cadet
Hi everyone,
I have bought a 6hp Fisherman and it needs a complete overhaul. The thing is I can't get parts untill I know what year it is. I believe this is done with model numbers, but I can only find one number on my outboard anywhere. This is on a 1" diameter silver disc with a blue M printed on it. Below this there are the figures C0568740 clearly stamped on it. This disc is under the hood on the engine block. Can the outboard be aged from this?
I know the fisherman range ran from 1965, and I think this engine is more towards the start of this range than the end as it has an old looking angular hood with old looking graphics.
If anyone can help me I would be very grateful!
Thanks,
Geoff.

dukboat

Seaman
Re: 6hp Fisherman, where's the serial?

There should be a small plate on the transom mount with the model number and the serial number. If the motor is real dirty you may have to clean it up to see it.

wbeaton

Commander

Or post a photo. We can probably tell from that.

Geoff_Jubb

Cadet

Hi guys,
Thankyou for taking the time to reply! I've just had to learn how to post pictures but hopefully this has worked...

DSC00066.jpg

DSC00064.jpg

DSC00065.jpg

Like I say, I'm guessing it is towards the start of the range, as I have seen newer looking style hoods.
Thanks for all help!
Geoff.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

That a 1968 cowl and the color looks right.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

What a great little motor. My dad had one for 35 years. I wish he had given it to me !!!!

tomh59

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My 68 cowl is the same but the tiller handle is white.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The replacement handle kits #386,266 are black.

Ordinarily the model number could be found on a plate on the top side of the port transom bracket, but the transom brackets are a different color, indicating that they may also have been replaced.

Geoff_Jubb

Cadet

Hi guys,
Thanks so much! You have been VERY helpful, especially ezeke, you really seem to know your stuff on these motors.
Now I can start ordering parts!
Cheers,
Geoff