1961 evinrude 40 hp ignition wire

patrick4266

Chief Petty Officer
I got this engine with the controls but no key. I want to see if it will get fire. Does any one know which wire is the ignition wire?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1961 evinrude 40 hp ignition wire

unplug the harness, and jump the solenoid.. there should be a number next to the key slot, that is a code for the key, dealer can get them. ishopmarine has them also.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Here's the wiring diagram for your motor (w/o generator)

Wiring1958-61_35-40hpwithoutgenerat.jpg

Edit: Drawing courtesy Garry Spencer

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Note that there is no "ignition wire". The two black wires are shorted together by the key switch to STOP the motor. Using a wrong switch that feeds voltage to the ignition will melt the coils.

patrick4266

Chief Petty Officer

So how do i Jump it with out the key? I know how to get fire to the selonoid but how do I to the ignition?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Did you look for the key code patrick?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The ignition is magneto. Self powered, like a lawnmower. It doesn't need to be connected to anything in order to run. In fact, you can disconnect everything and hand crank it and it will run. The key switch only turns it off.

larky

Petty Officer 1st Class

just make sure that the two black wires, mentioned above, are not connected. remove them from the switch and hook a toggle switch between them for now.

patrick4266

Chief Petty Officer

No I did not get the key code yet. I wanted to see if it was getting fire before I invested too much time are money in it. It looks like it has been sitting for many a years. However after putting oil down the plug holes and spinning it a bit I am getting around 90 on the compression so, I figure if it gets fire it will start. I am going to do that toggle ignition thing. Being new to out boards I did not realize that is how magnetos worked. Thanks a lot.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You only need the toggle to shut it off. Forget that for now. You can shut it off my just touching the two black wires together if you have to. As you suggest, the first priority is will it even run? THEN you can worry about stopping it.

Tom Dicken

Recruit

Can I get the logic for the ignition off ckt, during normal run operation are the two black wires shorted in the ignitions switch? by turning the key to off are they then opened.

Thanks
Tom Dicken
tobadick@verizon.net

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

The magneto is self generating There is no power to the mag and no circuit to run the motor.
The 2 black wires are connected to the switch so that they short together killing the mag when you turn it off.
So if you unplug the harness the mag will work.Sometimes you can just turn the throttle down tho kill the motor or just choke it
In the very early days you had 2 buttons start and choke.You either lowered the throttle or choked it to stop.
Newer motors were set at a specific idle so needed a kill circuit.
You can jump start it with cables; one ground to ground. The positive to the big lug on the starter.

Tom Dicken

Recruit

Does the 1960 40HP Johnson wire the same as the 1961 40HP