1976 evinrude 135 hp

hypnotist

Cadet
I have had this 135 hp evinrude outboard for over 30 years Last saw the water about 20 years ago. I have had it worked on by a "professional" boat mechanic... and have been gouged for several hundred dollars each time. I have started it every spring and the motor has always started fine. This past week I attempted to start it and it doeswn't seem to be firing. I have read in these forums that there is a kill switch... where would i find it. And how about the power packs ..how would I test them to see if they are ok ? any advise would be appreciated.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1976 evinrude 135 hp

The 1976 135hp has only one powerpack located at the top rear section of the engine.

Remove all of the spark plugs and crank the engine to check for spark. If no spark, remove the black/yellow wire from the powerpack, then re-check for spark.

If you now have spark, the usual cause is a shorted ignition switch.

If still no spark, disconnect the large RED electrical connector at the engine, then crank the engine by using a small jumper connected from the battery cable at the starter solenoid to the small 3/8" nut terminal of the solenoid that engages the solenoid.

If you now have spark, that black/yellow wire is shorted out to ground somewhere. If still no spark, I would suspect the powerpack is faulty.

That black/yellow wire is a ignition "kill" wire sircuit connected directly between the powerpack and the ignition switch. On that year model, unless someone has added a kill switch (dead mans switch), or a later model control box is being used, there is no separate "Kill Switch" to speak of.