Evinrude Sportster 25

redfish71

Recruit
I have a issue with my 25hp sportster. I ran it the other day and it overheated. I have full spray of water coming out. So I thought the thermostat was bad?? It looks brand new. Then I thought may the water jacket was clogged up. I pulled it all apart and cleaned every square inch,put it all back together started up on the fist pull and still seems to be runnig hot. Any advice on my next move?? I also pulled the thermostat cover of the top of the motor after I ran it and it was dry. Should there be water in it after it runs? How hot does the block get??
Thanks for any advice, Steve

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Evinrude Sportster 25

the tstat opens at 140* should not get above 160. what year or model # of motor??

redfish71

Recruit

the tstat opens at 140* should not get above 160. what year or model # of motor??
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

here is the # 25302A E00097202 and as I looked at it again there is no water coming up through the t stat hole

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

You should be able to hold your hand on it for a 3 count. An infrared thermometer is a more accurate test. If in doubt though, I would just change the t stats along with the impeller on a routine basis. When the t stats are off and the lu down, flush the cooling system with water or compressed air to clean out all passages, ensuring water flow. Also ensure the intake area is free of debris.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Didn't you check the water pump before going to all that other work? Always check the obvious first.