1935 johnson J75 need a set of points

rayww

Recruit
I need a tune up kit for a 1935 johnson J75 1.4 hp. Where can I find one ?

wavrider

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1935 johnson J75 need a set of points

Try Laings outboards, maybe they will have them, going to be a task to find them.
Hopefully some of the Guru's will post where they find the older parts at.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I need a tune up kit for a 1935 johnson J75 1.4 hp. Where can I find one ?

You certainly aren't going to find such a thing as a "tune-up kit". They didn't have them (kits) in those days. Your best bet is go to the Antique Outboard Motor Clubs website www.aomci.org and go down the list of vendors on their Links page. They also have a free classifieds ads page where you can post your needs. And, last but not least, a first class Ask-A-Member forum. Hey how about joining the club, or at least attend one of their meets.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Unless you get REALLY lucky, you're not likely to find new points for it. However, it is fairly rare that the original points can't be dressed and put back into service. I can't recall if those points are able to be disassembled, but if so, clean up the two contacts with a fine file, crowning the contact area just a hair. Reassemble and gap them at .030". Condensers might have a modern equivalent if you can find the ?f (microfarad) rating for it. Those coils are generally fairly reliable, even after close to 75 years!
- Scott