1986 28 SPL Johnson

WTL

Seaman
Hi, I just picked up a 28 SPL for my small boat and I have a couple questions, you guys have always been helpful in the past...

Took the motor out today and after putting the boat back on the trailer I noticed a combination of water and oil or grease squeezing out of this hole in the foot. There are 3 such holes, is this missing something? I've never noticed anything like this in other outboards. The plate at the top is also missing a screw and the same type of oil/water mix is seeping out of there too.

I drew arrows to the holes. The bottom one you can really see the oil seepage. The two upper ones arent really seeping anything, there just there...what are these for?Picture 059.jpg
Picture 057.jpg

Also this joint is barely holding together cause only 1 screw is holding that plate in. THe other screw is broken off in there. Should I drill, or could I cause more problems if I drill too far in?

Should I run 100:1 or 50:1 gas oil ratio?

How difficult is it to convert the long shaft design to a short? Should I just get a very high jackplate and mount it up on the transom instead?

Thanks in advance yall.

Attachments

• Picture 061.jpg
    Picture 061.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 0

rndn

Commander
Re: 1986 28 SPL Johnson

I can help with one question, 50:1 all the way.

WTL

Seaman

I figured I'g go with the 50:1 to be safe, even though the engine says 100:1. Rather have too much oil than too little.

Nobody has any ideas on those holes in the foot? Its kinda bothering me.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

remove the label that say 100-1, service notice may years ago. 50-1. i don't know enough about that particular motor to comment. rather not comment, than lead you the wrong way. does the oils have a uky smell. lower unit oil has a very distinct smell. unburnt fuel and crud from the exhaust has a sort of gassy smell. what do you have.

g3bob

Recruit

I have a 1986 28 ELCDC, and mine has the same oil seepage in the same places that you show in your pictures. Doesn't seem to be a problem, just looks bad.

I run 50:1 gas oil ratio even though the manual says to use 100:1.

The plate you show is the access panel for the shift rod connector. One of the heads on the bolts sheared off on mine as well, but had enough of the bolt sticking out to remove it.

Hope this helps....good luck!

Cmb0034

Cadet
g3bob, do you still have this motor? I think I may have burned out the fuses and rectifier, how many fuses does this motor have?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The post is 10 years old.-----It will be closed shortly I think.