66 40hp big twin ?motor flusher?

joesixpack

Cadet
I have a 66 40hp big twin and need a motor flusher. Can I use the rectangle muff style flusher or do I need something more like in this pic? I guess my real question is where is the water inlet? I'm thinking this below will work. Thanks for your help! Looking forward to getting this bad boy running this spring. Bought it at the end of last season and ran out of time before the snow!
684b_1.JPG

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 66 40hp big twin ?motor flusher?

The primary water inlet will be covered by that contraption. It is the screened inlet above the propeller. The secondary inlet is above the A/V plate. When the fixture is on, it is in the way of the propeller, so make sure that you are in neutral.

One of those big green landscape barrels will be better - bet the neighbors will think so too.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if you use a barrel, submerge at least 1/2 the motor leg.

joesixpack

Cadet

Thanks! I was hoping to avoid the barrel option as it seems to me it will be a major PITA. The motor is kinda large, any suggestions as to the best way to submerge it? Would rather have suggestions from someone rather than trial and error type thing :redface:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i use a large plastic barrel, get it under the motor then fill it. leave the hose running while testing, as exhaust will throw water out. when thru, i use the same hose and siphon out the water, turn the barrel over.

CATransplant

Admiral

i use a large plastic barrel, get it under the motor then fill it. leave the hose running while testing, as exhaust will throw water out. when thru, i use the same hose and siphon out the water, turn the barrel over.

Get down to the hardware store and buy a replacement drain for an ice-chest or cooler. Install that on your barrel near the bottom. Works much, much easier than siphoning. Really.

Of course, you could put that 40hp in gear and blow all the water out of the barrel, too. :D

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

You can buy a standard, rectangular muff and cut it to fit the upper water intake. It will not fit unless you cut about a quarter to a third of the muff off, along the longer dimension. When you put it on the motor, make sure that the sides that have been cut are facing down towards the cavitation plate.

The modified muff is going to leak where you have cut it but it won't matter because you will still get plenty of water into the cooling system. Just be sure that you have the hose turned on enough to accomplish this. Also, watch the upper exhaust exit to make sure water is coming out, indicating that the water pump is receiving water and pumping it through the engine.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Go with the barrel in my opinion