85 Evinrude - What year model?

kvistads

Recruit
I just bought a used boat and was told the engine was probably a 1980 model. The model number is 85895C and the serial number is J0004720. Can anybody help me in determining what year model this engine is? I also would like to know what the fuel/oil mix ratio would be? Most of what I've read on this forum seems to be 50:1. I just want to be sure. The only boat I've ever owned was a small 12 foot aluminum boat with a 3.5HP Wizard kicker. Thanks for any replies.

Russ

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 85 Evinrude - What year model?

Ahoy, kvistads

Welcome to iboats. :)

You have a 1978 Evinrude 85. The correct fuel mix is 50:1

kvistads

Recruit

Thanks so much JB. That should figure about right since the boat is a 1978 Cobia Sea Scout. I'm not disappointed a bit. Hopefully it is the same engine that was originally on the boat since it was new. Some of the folks I've talked with has had nothing but good things to say about Evinrude. Fires right up with the least little bump of the starter. I just need to find out how to do the maintenance on her and check everything out then go find some fish. My little seven year old son is having a fit for me to take her out. Thanks again for the reply and this informative forum. :)

Russ

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

My little seven year old son is having a fit for me to take her out. Russ

Thats a little contradictory isnt it ;)

A manual would be a good start for maintainence, check ebay or outboardbooks.com for a factory reprint.

patrick4266

Chief Petty Officer

I believe the "her" he is referring to is the boat, not the son