1970 evinrude 85 hp lower unit

patrick4266

Chief Petty Officer
I just replaced the impeller on this. Those electric wires were really tricky to get back in and so was lining up the plastic tubes on the water pump. I have it tilted up and had to put a rubber bungie cord to hold it up while i slid the driver shaft in. I had to turn the flywheel to get it to slide up there and managed to get the bolts started. My question is this. As I have it in that far, does that mean the drive shaft splines are in and lined up right? I think I have it right but I want to be sure before I tighted it down tomorrow.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1970 evinrude 85 hp lower unit

It is hard to line up by yourself. I usually use my wife as an apprentice, although she doesnt really like getting her hands dirty, lol.

Just ensure the water line is lined up properly with the impeller housing, and if there is a grommet on top of the housing, that it is still sitting as it should.

Did you add a little marine grease to the splines before re installing?

patrick4266

Chief Petty Officer

I used vasiline and I had no one to help me and it was kinda of hard as i was slipping in the mud. The gromlet stayed on fine.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

You used vaseline on the rubber grommet or the splines of the driveshaft?

Fine for the grommet, but I would use marine grade grease for the splines of the driveshaft. After fighting a lu off you will never forget it again.

patrick4266

Chief Petty Officer

I used vasiline on spline so i guess tomorrow i will pull it back off. Now that I know how to do it i should have a easier time with it. The reason I did not finish it today is I wanted to ask first and get it right. Thanks.

searaynoob

Seaman Apprentice

have you guys ever done the lower seals on this motor?? I have the same motor and have been trying to pull the seals off and have taken everything off and still can't seem to get the drive shaft and the prop shaft off. I need help to get this thing in the water by the 4th to take the family out!!

boobie

Supreme Mariner

This thread is over 5 years old. READ the rules at the top of the forum and start a new one!! Thank You.

searaynoob

Seaman Apprentice

Holy Jesus F**K I am not trying to high jack S**t I just need info and the one I started know one posted to it so I am trying everyway I can.

bigpoppakdog

Chief Petty Officer

Holy Jesus F**K I am not trying to high jack S**t I just need info and the one I started know one posted to it so I am trying everyway I can.

Yeah, they get a little testy when a thread is hijacked. It's easier to search past threads for specific info when you know the thread is just one that topic. When you get multiple topics within a thread it makes it hard to search. Just like you did you found some info on a past thread. Best if you then start a new one since you have now some valuable info on some different issues with your motor. :)

I had a mechanic do the seals on mine.